Yahoo Answers is shutting down on May 4th, 2021 (Eastern Time) and the Yahoo Answers website is now in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

EDM asked in Home & GardenCleaning & Laundry · 1 decade ago

Best way to get white socks clean?

Any suggestions on what prouduct or process to use to get rid of stubborn dirt on sock soles. I've tried oxy clean, bleach, and Biz. I have even steamed them with lemon in a pot after laundering them. Thanks!

Favorite Answer

Return white socks to sparkling white by boiling them in a saucepan with a few slices of lemon. The lemon is a natural bleach. Dishwasher detergent also whitens socks - just add a little to the regular washload...

The way I do it is I put my whites in a bucket and soak them with hot water with about a cup of bleach added. Let them soak until the water gets cold. Then, wash them in your machine in hot water, adding a cup of bleach to the wash. Mine always come out looking just like new. Good luck!

When I first stated working in the medical field 20 yrs ago you had to wear whites only...the best thing the worked was cascade dishwasher detergent(the old powder kind) it doesn't make it "yellowish" like bleach does.

Go to the Dollar Store and buy new ones. Your spending more on cleaners than the sock cost.

Unfortunately I think you've exhausted your options. Mine get dingy too, even with bleach and oxy clean.