How to deal with creditors when credit cards were used by wife w/ mental illness?

Any legal advice would be very much appreciated. My wife has mental illness (major depression, OCD & PTSD) which causes her to be very impulsive about spending and lying. She is receiving intensive treatment now, but when she was untreated she ran up credit card debt in my name to the tune of about $25,000. She had... show more Any legal advice would be very much appreciated. My wife has mental illness (major depression, OCD & PTSD) which causes her to be very impulsive about spending and lying. She is receiving intensive treatment now, but when she was untreated she ran up credit card debt in my name to the tune of about $25,000. She had used my SS# to apply for and receive cards and then maxed them out. I used the cards somewhat as well, under the pretense that she had saved enough money before I met her to pay them off (she didn't).

Needless to say, the bill collectors are after me. There's no way we can afford to pay them, as we have a 9-month old daughter and one income. Her mentall illness is well documented by physicians. Is there any way to dispute the charges on these grounds? If not, what options are there? Please keep in mind that we can't afford $700+ a month to go through a credit counseling place. Thanks.