Have you read "The Color Purple" by Alice Walker ?

I just finished it and have to say that it was amazing, a real eye opener for me, it's been a long time since I have been so emotionally affected by a novel. Worthy of "Classic" status.

Favorite Answer

YES BUT I WATCHED THE MOVIE LIKE 100 TIMES BEFORE I ACTUALLY READ THE BOOK

SO THE BOOK WAS KINDA RUINED FOR ME, BUT DTILL I LOVED IT & CRIED AT CERTAIN PARTS

ITS 1 OF MY FAV. BOOKS

OMG

I FEEL SO BAD FOR CELIE EVEN THOUGH SHES NOT EVEN REAL

I WOULD RECCOMEND IT TO ANYONE

PLEASE READ IT

YES ITS DEFINITELY A CLASSIC.... ITS SO BANGIN

• Joyce

From the situation in the color purple. The black women in the America could not read or write. THey were free from slavery, but after slavery had to struggle because they didn't know much. The white people during that time were very hard because they had to free their slaves and they didn't want to do it. The white people were very bitter towards black people. black women were free from slavery, but not really free with their lives. Black women and men still had to live under the rules of the white. people. Sometimes black women did what was necessary to feed their children and to stay out of trouble. They still had to work for white people for little or nothing or they would be punished. As for women in Africa during this time, people were free. The women were educated, they were teaching school and raising their own children. There were some problems, but not like the problems they had in America. In Africa the women were free from slavery and free with their lives

Atually the movie affected me so much I am afraid of reading the book... I tend to enjoy the books more of course

Only with Narnia and The notebook have I enjoy more the film. However, I don’t want to damage the story in my mind and not enjoy the book because I have Oprah’s image in my head. Should I still read it???

yes I have. It's a really amazing book. I recommend everyone see the movie after you read the book. The film is excellent as well.

Yes but I saw the film first and it's slighty different to the book, so I was confused in places. Reading this question makes me want to reread the book.(must go and visit library soon)

I havent read it but saw the film which was excellent and I would really like to read the book.

I think it might be classed as a modern classic.

I do know it is regularly read at universities, which makes it part of the "cannon of English literature" .

I read it myself in my first year at university.

• Jude

Yes it's excellent, she's also a talented poet. One of my favourite authors in fact.

Yes, I have. Excellent book. .It's a shame they had to make that film of it.

yes i have, it is a great book. have you watched the film?