Anonymous
Anonymous asked in HealthMental Health · 1 decade ago

what is the 2007 teen suicide rate?

• Pam
    Favorite Answer

The poster above me answered of course first, but I wanted to add something just putting into perspective just "how" high it really is - it's TO high!

Jan 2nd 2007 my nephews best friend committed suicide - he was 16. Oct. 7th 2007 my nephew (the one who had just lost his best friend) committed suicide - he was 17. 9 years prior to that my nephews father committed suicide.......I just hope that one day people open there eyes to this epidemic among so many because it really is........

Parents just remember - talking to your kids about suicide does NOT make them suicidal, it could ultimately save there life in the future. Plus if someone talks about it or "attempts" doesn't mean they aren't serious or "looking for attention". My nephew pulled a gun on himself 10 months before his "actual" death. I suppose it's a good thing I'm still in shock & denial about my nephews death or that would have been impossible to type just now....

FACTS ABOUT YOUTH SUICIDE

* Suicide is the second leading cause of death among college students and the third leading cause of death among all youth 15 - 24 years old. In the U.S., only accidents and homicides claim more young lives.

* Nearly 4,000 people aged 15 - 24 die by suicide each year in the United States.

* Between the mid-1950s and the late 1970s, the suicide rate among U.S. males aged 15 - 24 more than tripled (from 6.3 per 100,000 in 1955 to 21.3 in 1977). Among females aged 15 - 24, the rate more than doubled during this period (from 2.0 to 5.2). The youth suicide rate generally leveled off during the 1980s and early 1990s and since the mid-1990s, it has been steadily decreasing.

* Among young people aged 15 - 24, males die by suicide almost six times more frequently than females. In 2001 (the latest year for which national rates are available) the suicide rate among young men was 16.5 per 100,000 and the rate among young women was 2.9.

* Youth suicide rates vary widely among different racial and ethnic groups. In 2001, white youth had a suicide rate of 11.5 per 100,000, compared to rates of 7.3 for African Americans, 6.1 for Hispanics, 6.4 for Asian Americans and 18.8 for American Indians and Alaskan Natives.

* Twenty percent of American high school students report having seriously considered suicide during the previous 12 months. Eight percent of high school students make a suicide attempt.

* Seventy percent of youth who make a suicide attempt are frequent users of alcohol and/or other drugs. In states where the minimum drinking age was raised from 18 to 21, the suicide rate for 18 to 20 year olds decreased.

* Over 90 percent of youth who die by suicide had at least one psychiatric illness at the time of death; in about half such cases, the psychiatric illness was present, although often unrecognized, for two years or more. The most common diagnoses among youth are depression, substance abuse and conduct disorders.

FACTS ABOUT SUICIDE

* Worldwide there are more deaths due to suicide than to accidents, homicides and war combined.

* About 30,000 people in the United States die by suicide every year.

* Currently, suicide is the 11th leading cause of death in the U.S.

* Every day, approximately 80 Americans takes their own life, and 1,500 more attempt to do so.

* A person dies by suicide about every 18 minutes in the U.S. An attempt is estimated to be made once every minute.

* In the U.S. in 2001, the suicide rate among women was 4.1 per 100,000, while for men it was 17.6 per 100,000.

* There are more than four male suicides for every female suicide, but twice as many females as males attempt suicide.

* Firearms are the most frequent method of suicide among adults in the United States.

* Over ninety percent of people who die by suicide had at least one psychiatric illness at the time of death. The most common diagnoses are depression and drug and/or alcohol abuse.

* Alcoholism is a factor in about 30 percent of all suicide deaths.

* Early recognition and treatment of depression and other psychiatric illnesses appears to be the best way to prevent suicide.

* Certain personality disorders, such as borderline and antisocial personality disorders, appear to carry high risk for suicide. Impulsivity also appears to be a risk factor for suicide.

* Between 20 and 50 percent of people who kill themselves had previously attempted suicide. Although the majority of people who die by suicide have no made a previous attempt, a serious suicide attempt is a clear risk factor for suicide death.

* Suicidal individuals often talk about suicide directly or indirectly using statements like, "My family would be better off with out me." Sometimes they talk as if they are saying goodbye or going away, and may arrange to put their affairs in order. Other signs of contemplating suicide include giving away articles they value, paying off debts or changing a will.

Source(s): Suicide Survivor

When I was 14 I was hospitalized for overdosing on Valium. That was my first attempt. Of course, I realize how ridiculously dumb that was now, but I think I can understand why people do it. We so often talk about 'the pressures of society' causing people to do this and that. I think it's quiet the opposite. If that were true suicide rates should be going down and people in third world countries should be offing themselves like flies. I think it's much more the lack of pressure in society. I'm not saying that when I tried to kill myself I was sitting there thinking "My life is so easy! How about dying?". It's just that life IS so easy for most of us today. People in third world countries survive because they have to, whether they are running from something or searching for their next meal. We have everything we could possibly want right in front of us. All we can do is sit back and contemplate life. The suicide rate is much higher among the middle class. Famous people are four times more likely to commit suicide than the rest of us. Of course, some people just go through terrible, terrible things and can't stand to live anymore. I am only speaking from personal experience. I am not naive enough to think a 14 year old girl raiding the medicine cabinet is the same as someone older who has faced real adversity.

* For 15-to-19 year-old females the rate is 3.52 per 100,000

* For 15-to-19 year-old males, the rate is 12.65 per 100,000