How can I find out about international wire transfer fees?

I recently sent some money from overseas to the U.S. I paid commission and wire transfer fee at the originating bank overseas. I sent the money to the U.S. bank which I knew does not charge incoming wire transfer fees. When I received the money, the amount was smaller than what I sent from overseas. When I inquired my bank (the receiving bank), I was told that they did not charge a fee, but an intermediary bank probably did. Later, when I needed to have another transfer made, I asked another bank and its intermediary bank how much they charge for incoming international wire transfer. The bank that I have my account at said they charge 10USD. The intermediary bank said that international wire transfers go through many financial institutions before coming into their bank, and they cannot tell me how much will be charged. How is this possible - and why is it tolerated that you cannot tell how much fees will be charged before sending the money? Is there a way to find out?

Best Answer

You need to find out how much the sending bank overseas sent and how much you actually received when it finally got to your account here in the states. Many sending banks don't know what they are talking about. Foreign banks send "Swift" Payment orders to their corresponding banks in the U.S.. They in turn will send the payment via fed to your bank. What you don't know is how the foreign bank's account is set up with the corresponding bank and with what terms. If you received $10,25, 35 less than what was originally sent, then this is called the "Bene deduct fee".

For Example..

Barclays Bank in London has sent a Swift Payment order for $500 to be sent to your account held at Citibank. Barclays in London naturally will send it to their U.S. Correspondent in New York- which is Barclays Plc (New York). New York will act on the instructions sent by London with no alterations what-so-ever. But what is important is to realize is how the account (terms) of Barclays-London is set up with Barclays-New York.

There is a field on the MT 103 Swift payment order instructions. Each field is indentified with a number- example Line 20 or line 59 or line 70. Lines 57 and 59 are usually the beneficiary field info- on the swift. I do not know the number field for "Details of Charges" but if Barclays-London left that field blank, then the Corresponding bank- Barclays-New York will indeed take the "Bene decuct fee" out. - Again, I don't know what the amount of the bene deduct fee is. - And for corresponding banks, the fee varies.

On the swift the "Details of Charges" field will look like this....

1)Details of Charges- "OUR"

2)Details of Charges-" Ben"

3)Details of Charges- sometimes this field will be left blank by the sending bank.

OUR means that the sending bank is advising the corresponding bank not to take an additional fee

BEN means that the sending bank is advising the corresponding bank to take an additional fee

LEAVING THE FIELD BLANK- means the corresponding bank will take a fee regardless.

Believe it or not. This is just a simple example of how a Swift Payment order works. If fees are taken out, then its the sending bank's fault. They are or are not advising their correspondents of the bene deduct fee.

Since calling the corresponding/intermediary bank is a lost cause (because you are not their customer) the best thing to do is have you local bank here in the United States call their wire department and see if the representative from the wire department will call the corresponding bank. Usually (not always) the corresponding bank will tell them- yes there was a $25 bene deduct fee taken out.

Unfortunately, you have no control over these fees.- unless you advise the sending bank this. But are you willing to spend at least another 50-100 dollars calling overseas to answer this request.

Source(s): Wire Transfer Speciailst- 14 years. Banking operations 21 years.
  • juel

Citibank Wire Transfer Fees

This Site Might Help You.

RE:

I recently sent some money from overseas to the U.S. I paid commission and wire transfer fee at the originating bank overseas. I sent the money to the U.S. bank which I knew does not charge incoming wire transfer fees. When I received the money, the amount was smaller than what I sent from...

Source(s): find international wire transfer fees: https://tr.im/jLlhK

Recently I sent an international transfer to a bank in Japan. At the receiving bank a fee was taken out. I am not complaining so much about the fee itself, as to the inability I found in determining what amount a fee will be. In fact the amount deducted was probably 10%.

For example, say I want to pay an amount to an account in a foreign bank. The amount I want to pay for example is $100.00. Of course I pay in foreign currency but for the example it is $100.00. It is received in the foreign bank and they charge a fee. For example, the fee is $10.00 and so only $90.00 is deposited into the account. Theoretically, I could have paid $110.00, so that the remainder $100.00 is what ends up in the account. This is assuming it was a basic charge. But what if it is a percentage, or the basic charge varies? Without any information , what amount do I initially transfer? What amount do I add to cover the shortfall?It is all guess work.

This is nothing to do with the fee charged at this end for sending the transfer. It is the fee charged upon receiving a transfer. Or apparently, moving it through other agencies.

I have asked many people, banks, transfer services, and looked for this information, but it is either said it is not known, or it is out of their control.. My own bank recommended I guess at an amount to add on. I have had contact with the receiving bank, via the company in Japan, but got no sensible reply, since they seem confused saying it is done by the sending agency, and I should contact my bank. I sent an email to the Japanese bank but had no reply. It's as if this figure to be deducted is not to be disclosed, is an acceptable unknown, and the true practice is to guess what extra amount to add on. I can't believe an institution so particular about pennies and cents, is leaving this system to guess work. I can't believe there is no true answer.

No doubt everyone will repeat the mantra, it is out of our control. Actually it seems to me it is a system within the banking field and it is all about money control, and would a bank send money to another bank not knowing what fees are going to be charged?

does the transfer code fees change when money is considered to be from off shore account

Great insightful answers, thank you