Into the Wild Quotes.?

Happiness is not real unless it is shared..

is this just from sean penn's adaptation, or did Christopher McCandless aka Alexander Supertramp. I've read the book, and now I'm skimming, but I can't find the quote.

anyone? is this quote in the book?

Favorite Answer

Not sure myself if he wrote it, been looking at alot of reviews of the book and movie and can find it mentioned in quite a few reviews, pasted one below, I'm going to buy the book and read it soon, hope has been some help:

Into the Wild (film and book)

Oct 13, 2007

Post a comment

Jon Krakauer's book Into the Wild (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Into_the_Wild, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jon_Krakauer ) has finally been made into a movie (http://www.intothewild.com/) and my first thought was, It's about time! I am a huge fan of Mr. Krakauer's writing and all of his books are on my favorites list. Under the Banner of Heaven (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Under_the_Banner_of_H... was the most recent that I read so it is in my list of favorite books on this site but the book everyone has heard about, Into Thin Air, is a great book. When I trekked to Mt. Everest, it is sold at EVERY STOP ALONG THE WAY (and that seems a little counter-intuitive but it sells there and it is the least developed nation on earth).

Into the Wild is about a young man, Chris McCandless, who gave up all his money a gave into his instinct to go "anywhere but here." It was this aspect of his life that attracted me to the book and was very excited to see the movie. The only thing I would not have done that he does is burn the cash I have but also it's different for women, I would not feel safe hitchhiking around America (or anywhere else) and so some of the things he was able to do.

Honestly I had read about Chris before I read the book. News reports sais a young man died in Alaska and the general consensus was that he was young, inexperienced and stupid so he died as a result of his own mistakes. I bought into that completely and had little sympathy. My judgement came too early, and I feel badly about that. Then I read the Krakauer book and felt I better understood this man's purpose and what happened. The real tragedy is his few miscalculations (there was a spot that was pretty close to the bus he called home in Alaska where he could have crossed that river and had he known that the story would have a much different ending.

Most reviews I have read of the book have been bad and I do think you need to have read the book to enjoy the movie but I liked it. I think it did not fully explain some of Chris' reasons for doing what he did but it exelled at showing the impact he had on the lives of everyone who met him when he was on his adventure and how his disappearance affected his family. Both show one lesson he learned was clear: Happiness is only real when it is shared.

We live in a time when most Americans are more connected (internet, cell phones, IM, etc.) to each other but really disconnected to other people and nature. Most Americans spend their nights working or watching TV. TV is one of the most isolating thing. People come home and fufil part of Timothy Leary's ideas, they 'turn on and drop out.' People elsewhere do not do this. They spend their evenings either alone or with family but with the TV on, absorbed by whatever is on.

I get why this man ran away from the materialistic life he had always had and appreciate how freeing is must have felt to be on his own, for the first time in his life and be out there -- meeting new people and experiencing totally new things. I understand it because I try to do the same thing, though I cannot be as carefree as him but have taken several trips to places so remote there was no way to reach me unless you came and found me. I took a lot of precautions he never would have but it is so important to disengage from time to time. I challenge anyone who reads this to do just that: Take a trip to a place with no cell coverage or internet access. That's a tall order so if you cannot find a place like that, just turn the phone off on your next vacation. This is not meant to trivialize Chris' life or experiences but show that we can all learn something from him.

There is something I tell politicians (and others), when you are speaking to a group of people, you need to know that they are the most important people on earth. Do not check your blackberry when the person before you speaks because it is rude to them and your audience but we should think that way about the people we are with at gatherings of friends or family or whenever we go someplace new. We should learn to live in the moment and appreciate everything for what it is and not spend our time worrying about some work thing (and when you are on vacation, leave all the work accoutrements at home, there is nothing you can do about any crisis that occurs and if you spend your personal time doing work, you have missed the point). I saw a show where they interviewed really old people (over 90) and not one said "I wish I spent more time at the office." They all said they regretted not spending more time with friends and family and not telling the people about whom they cared that they loved them. That is the lesson Chris (not knowing him it's probably me projecting) tells us.

Happiness is not real unless it is shared. Chris McCandless aka Alexander Supertramp.

Of course the quote/lesson of the book. Happiness is onlhy real when shared.