What were some of the social consequences of the Black Plague?

What I really am looking for is how people saw each other after the disease came...and how they reacted to people from other areas who may have been the one who helped spread the Plague around....

Update:

ok...that is not constructive.... :\

I'll clarify....how did the SURVIVORS view other people....etc...

3 Answers

Relevance
  • Gerald
    Lv 5
    1 decade ago
    Best Answer

The initial reaction to the plague was shock, not surprisingly. Both during and afterwards, people began to look for scapegoats. In many places, they were certainly suspicious of strangers and travelers, but because they didn't understand the concepts of contagion, they believed that the strangers carried with them not the bugs or bacteria but rather various poisons they considered might be the cause. This resulted in isolated tales of strangers and travelers being attacked.

The most common target of attacks and blame, however, were the jews and lepers. Both were accused of poisoning wells (and thus causing the plague) as part of some bizarre Jewish-led plot to kill all Christians. The lack of logic of this idea (given that Jews were dying as much as Christians) didn't stop urban communities in Germany and France from committing a number of massacres of such unfortunates. The Church tried to protect the Jews and lepers with little success.

Source(s): The Black Death, Rosemary Horrox - has a number of first hand accounts of the Black Death, including descriptions of massacres and persecutions in the wake of the plague.
  • 1 decade ago

Socio-economic effects

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

I think they mostly saw each other dead...

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.