What is a piecan?

What is the meaning of the northern word "piecan"?

What are its origins?

9 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago
    Best Answer

Idiot, it denotes an empty pie can(dish).Meaning empty headed

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

I've lived in northern New England all my life, and Ive never heard that word.

• 4 years ago

My granddad often used to call me a piecan. I asked him why one day and he told me that in WW1 he was the lead rider on an artillery train. Sometimes, when they ran out of ammunition, they had loads of metal piecans around which could not be fired. So the expression was "you are about as useful as a piecan!".

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

This is the only reference i can find to the word piecan.

Sheffield sayings and rhymes [Archive] - Sheffield ForumI have never understood the Sheffield slang properly! LOL ..... My (legendary) Grandma used to call me a piecan when I was acting up. ...

http://www.sheffieldforum.co.uk/archive/index.php/...

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago

I've never heard of it. A guy at work years ago said we needed a piecost to do a job properly. I said, What's a piecost? About 75p, he said. Piecan, no.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

I think it's pecan the nut from the tree that a lot of people make pecan pies with. In the south we say it " pecon" or maybe it is what we call a pie pan that you cook it in.

• grodno
    Lv 6
    1 decade ago

It's a derogatory term, my dad called me that quite often, means Idiot or something similar.

• 1 decade ago

Sounds like a can for putting a pie in!!!

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

It's from Werp. A stupid or very silly person. 'Enoch, youse meanin', t' werp?'

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.