What do people say "you can be anything you want to be"?

My parents taught me early on, that it's important to know your potentials and strengths, as well as limitations and weakness, to succeed. Why do people make that statement, when we clearly can't be anything we want to be? I'm 5'2" and I could have never been a WNBA player. Isn't it more... show more My parents taught me early on, that it's important to know your potentials and strengths, as well as limitations and weakness, to succeed. Why do people make that statement, when we clearly can't be anything we want to be? I'm 5'2" and I could have never been a WNBA player. Isn't it more helpful to teach being realistic and knowing your real self, as opposed to selling them an idealistic picture?
Update: Bless Rain: thanks for reminding me of even more limitations that I hadn't thought LOL
Update 2: Well, I can't urinate while standing, and a guy can't get pregnant...so I guess gender does play a role too at times, in realizing strengths and weaknesses.
Update 3: Jim J: LOL!!! that was great! thank you! I can't believe I gave up the dream when ya'll could have been watching me on TV right now LOL