when did people begin taking the polio vaccine?

Favorite Answer

The first polio vaccine (injectable, killed poliovirus vaccine) was developed by Jonas Salk in 1952, and put into worldwide us in 1955. The Albert Sabin oral polio vaccine (OPV which used live, attenuated poliovirus) was licensed in 1962.

The use of these 2 vaccines have almost eradicated polio, a disease that can lead to terrible neurological sequelae. However, because of lack of health care infrastructure in many countries (and because of noncompliant parents in many countries, including this one, who refuse to vaccinate their children based on some unproven and oversensationalized claim that vaccines are "bad" for children), the number of polio cases has been rising steadily for the past few years.

I hope this answers your question - vaccination is a very important topic of which all consumers of health care should be knowledgable. Vaccination saves lives and money.

Source(s): I am receiving my M.D.; I also hold a graduate degree in immunology and infectious diseases.

Two polio vaccines are used throughout the world to combat polio. The first was developed by Jonas Salk, first tested in 1952, and announced to the world by Salk on April 12, 1955. It consists of an injected dose of inactivated (dead) poliovirus. Thereafter, Albert Sabin produced an oral polio vaccine using attenuated poliovirus. Human trials of Sabin's vaccine began in 1957 and it was licensed in 1962.[1] The two vaccines have eradicated polio from most of the countries in the world[2][3] and reduced the worldwide incidence from an estimated 350,000 cases in 1988 to fewer than 2000 cases in 2006.[4][5]

• sixxss

theres no cure for polio and the vaccine wears off within years... there are treatments tho back in the 50's they thought high amounts of vitiman c could cure it , but this was never carried out or proven. but the vaccine was invented in 1955.

The Salk vaccine was first widely distributed to school children in the early sixties. It was administered by the school nurse and drops were placed on a sugar cube which the child ate. I guess today they'd put it on a granola bar.