?
? asked in Arts & HumanitiesPoetry · 1 decade ago

For my brothers.......rest well.?

Hot and noisy...the aircraft rolls down the runway...to lift us to the sky...we are as close to heaven as we can get in this world...30,000 feet...as we descend we feel the weight of the world begin to enter our souls again...I look at my comrades and smile...my brothers...my friends.....the doors open and the light goes green....I laugh, always thought it should be red....headed for hell....we go.....a sea of silk floats down....then nothing...we deploy...quiet...too quiet...the world erupts into a cacaphony of sound....small arms....grenades..running now...adrenaline pumping...first one goes down....then another...I reach for my brother and drag him to cover..surreal now...dreamlike...DOC!!!...MAN DOWN!!!!..I feel his hand clutching mine...I let go...have to move....we get online and advance..the noise subsides...we have quieted the dragon for now..he is sated...and at the end...I see my brothers..living and dead...and a single tear falls to the dust at my feet. Rest well My brothers

John O

Ex 82nd Airborne trooper

((((((Everyone))))))

• mrs O
    Favorite Answer

(((((John))))Beautiful.

• ganna

Your brothers do rest well. There must surely be nothing so awesome as a person fighting side by side with others for freedom. It is not romantic. It is not "a job". It is fearful and only the truly brave need apply. How you drew us into the scene with your words. I hope my grandsons never know the reality, but if they grow up and must someday face what you faced, I pray for their protection and strength as I now pray for you. My uncle was a Green Beret in the Viet Nam War (he will tell anyone that it definitely was not a police action). He served 2 terms, the second one voluntarily to help keep some of the young men alive we were sending there with just enough training to know how to clean their guns. He was, and is a personal hero. God speed to you, now another hero.

Words cannot express my gratitude.

That is a beautiful poem.

Thank You Very Much.

God Bless You All.

I don't think I can ever thank you and all your brothers and sisters enough for your sacrifices. I am sure if we have not been there we cannot fathom the depths.

Again today and every day:

Thank You.

that was fantastic, you have a true poets heart, and should write more.

when you can paint a picture with word, then the painting becomes more important, than the form.

Source(s): jcms

I like form, the topic is forever necessary.

I prefer this without the "single tear" bit.

Your sacrifice heroes cannot be valued or matched enough...it is more than a mother to her son.

Thank you for sharing this with us. What a wonderful poem. I liked it. Thanks for all you did when you served our country. I hope you had a nice Veterans Day.

Source(s): Who's boyfriend also served in the Army as an Airborne Ranger.
  • jackie

* STAR * for your love and filling.

God Blest You for ever..and your friends

saving ower country.

Beautiful poem, mate.

(((((((John O)))))))

WORDS FAIL ME...(((JOHN)))