My washing machine wont drain what can i do..?

This morning my washing machine stopped draining... I put a load in and it got to the spin cycle which was fine but the water is still in there.. What can i do..? What must be wrong..? :) i've tried putting it to the drain cycle but it turns on but doesn't do anything.. Help..!

At the end of the wash the water stays in there...

Best Answer

the pump is broken. either empty it by hand or call a plumber in the morning.

The pump possibly. At the end of the wash cycle does the wash water empty or does it go through the rinse cycles with the washing water still in the machine.... Either the pump has failed or there is a complete blockage of the emptying waste pipe.. Sounds like an engineer will be required...

First pull out the machine ,then pull out the the drain hose, put a basin on the floor and drain the machine by gravity. Next follow the hose back to the drain pump. There should be a 2" flexi pipe on one side of pump , disconnect this and feel for any thing that is blocking the pump. if there is nothing blocking the pump , best call a repair guy.

Obviously there is a problem with the pump as most of your answer have said,but where they are wrong is by saying "call a plumber" I wouldn't if i were you. For a start a plumber will cost a £100 for him to walk through your front door, what you need to do is call an "Engineer". there is a big difference between a plumber and an engineer. As for your problem, first check if you've got a filter on your machine, check the users manual, if your machine hasn't then it may well be time to call an engineer if your not that competent, otherwise you could end up with a flood on your hands.

I found a blockage in the flexy pipe coming out of the back of mine! Simply 'flex' the pipe...it may feel quite heavy, this is the buildup of greasy gunge from detergent, alot will simply break clear, but its saying theres a buildup of gunge in the washing machine. Get a bag of Washing Soda, ASDA, 55 pence, empty whole bag into machine, very hot wash (no soap or clothes) this will clear any gunge, and give your drains a spring clean. So good, I do this every other month.

the tube leading to the pump might be clogged. I fixed this problem myself before actually there was alot that was clogged. I just bailed the water out and opened up the cabinet they call it, and took the sand out of every space that could possibly get clogged, I had washed three or four sandy towels all at once. I didn;t have to replace any parts I didn't even put all of the twenty screws back right. I heard pumps are not that expensive. Good luck.

could be the filter is blocked mine used to do that all the time there will be somewhere u can open the machine to get out anything trapped inthere, try that before calling a plumber or assuming the machine is broken.

• hapa1

follow pebbles advice to empty the water then check if your washer has a filter either at the front or under the drum leading down to the pump clean this . if it still doesn't empty then get a new pump cheaper to fit yourself and not a hard job

Source(s): engineer
  • JOHN B

check the drain plug at the bottom of the machine there could be something blocking it good luck

• VC

I just had to tell you that I sympathize with you...this happened to me 2 weeks ago...My washer just stopped in the middle of cycle...it sucked wringing out the clothes :(

Good luck! I ended up buying a new one.

first thing is check the drain for blockage if its going into your sink trap.

pull the machine out and check the flexible waste hose incase its been crushed.

HND plumbing and heating.