Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Education & ReferenceHigher Education (University +) · 1 decade ago

How can I prepare to become a neurosurgeon?

I am just a freshman in high school. I have a long ways to go until college. I have all A's. There have been situations where I was the only person in a class to get an A on a test in math. Recently, my friend and I got the highest score on a test in Biology (The teacher says only few got "'amazing"' scores, and we were one of them, she says). Other stuff like that in other classes like English, etc.. I read for at least an hour a day. I'm planning on taking summer school to get ahead and get into college level classes faster.

I don't know if I've just given useless information or useful information. Do you think that this is enough to get ready for college to medical school to my path on becoming a neurosurgeon? Can some answer on what else I can do to prepare?

I know all about the salary issue. I know that a lot, if not all jobs in the medical field (especially surgical field) make a lot of money.

I want to help people; I want to be respected.

Best Answer

I think you are doing ok, I mean you are just a freshman in high school. I would recommend not to get too frustrated with the idea of becoming a doctor. Enjoy your high school life, since after high school you would not have that much time for yourself. One thing that I think you should do is to get involved in extracurricular programs like clubs and student organizations (especially the honor societies), that way you will have the opportunity to meet new people, serve your community by doing community service and at the same time have fun. Also, I would like to mention that even though high school classes do help you to do better in college classes like science and math; they do not count at the time you apply to medical college. When you apply to med school they will only look at your college achievements. Another thing I would recommend you is to apply to summer enrichment programs instead of going to summer school, I’m not saying that summer school is not good, but take it easy and don’t rush to get out of high school. You will see that it would be better to spend your summer time doing research or getting information on how to prepare for med school through one of the many summer programs available for high school students. In summary, I think that the three things you have to do are get into as many extracurricular activities as possible and be active on them (don’t just be a member, but become the president or VP), do community service and try to do summer enrichment programs. For information on summer programs search on the med schools WebPages like:

http://www.bcm.edu/smart/?PMID=3611

http://www.med.uth.tmc.edu/administration/admissio...

If you would like to have more info contact me at y_monserrat@yahoo.com

Source(s): I'm a pre-med student