What appeals to you more as a reader, first person or third person?

It's usually hard for me to get into writing because I don't know which way would work better. I've always tended to do a mixture of both, but as a reader, what do you prefer over the other?

Favorite Answer

There is no real way to say... Personally I write a combination. Different chapters change POV and the person. I find that more interesting for readers. But I have read some wonderful books written in both.

----

They're, Their, There - Three Different Words.

Careful or you may wind up in my next novel.

Pax - C

It really depends on the story - some just can't be told in first person. For example, Maeve Binchey is all over the place with her characters. If she did it in first person, you'd only have one point of view, rather that the points of view of a whole village full of people.

First person can be very dramatic, if the story lends itself to that -- so, as a reader, I don't prefer one over the other but prefer the one that is the best written. As a writer, experiment and see which works best for the particular story you are working on.

good luck

For me, it depends on the story. Some writers have played with the idea of first vs. third person. Kurt Vonngut's Galapagos has a first-person narrator, but that narrator looks at other people and tells their story in the third person. But as for the choice, it's more important that it's written well.

First person is useful when you want to tell the story of a character. Third person is useful when you want to tell the story of an event or a plotline. Telling the story of one character with the third person is tricky because it can end up sounding condescending about that character. But if it's done well, then it's very impressive.

I prefer to read first-person. It helps the reader get into the character's head to feel and see the perspective of the character. It creates a more intense and engaging story.

Source(s): Love to read, love to write.

It depends on the story I guess. If it's full of action and is pretty centralized on the main character, then first person, so that it feels like it's you going through all that action. If it's complicated with lots of deep caracters, then third person works well with getting all of their stories told. It also works if you want the character to have its own personality. Some writers write in first person to put the readerin the character's shoes and really get them in the story. Then some write in thrid person because their character has its own personality. That character is that character and no one else. To me, it depends on the story.

First person. It helps you get a better feel for your main character and how he/she feels in a certain situation and about certain people. it's a great way to go if you want the reader to know a lot about the characters personality.

I like first person much better. It tells a specific character's point of view on an issue and gives you the thoughts leading up to their actions, thus hinting about why they did it. Third person is good, tooo, if it's in that opint of view called third person omniscient, where EVERYBODY'S point of view is revealed to the reader.

Source(s): 9th grade English class (ah, those were the good ole days...)

First person has to be really, really good. Sue Grafton does it well. I must say I like 3rd person b/c you can get more of the story - hear more sides (if this makes sense). Just write the way you feel comfortable.

I often prefer first person, but some of my favorite books are in third. It's hard to choose one.

i prefer first person...it makes me identify with the reader better!!