What is the difference between "Droplet" and "Airborne" transmission? What are the diseases for each category?

Favorite Answer

Dear Asker!

Airborne transmission occurs when bacteria or viruses travel on dust particles or on small respiratory droplets that may become aerosolized when people sneeze, cough, laugh, or exhale. They hang in the air much like invisible smoke. They can travel on air currents over considerable distances. These droplets are loaded with infectious particles.

With airborne transmission, direct contact with someone who is infected is not necessary to become ill. The amount of exposure necessary varies from disease to disease. With chickenpox, a child could easily catch it from another aisle in a supermarket. With tuberculosis, closer contact and less air circulation are often needed.

Many common infections can spread by airborne transmission at least in somecases, including:

Anthrax (inhalational)

Chickenpox

Influenza

Smallpox

Measles

Tuberculosis

Rubella

Mumps...etc...

Droplet transmission occurs when contagious droplets produced by the infected host are propelled a short distance through coughing or sneezing and can come into contact with another person's conjunctiva, mouth or nasal mucosa. Influenza can be transmitted by large droplets, which generally travel 3 to 6 feet. Since these droplets generally are large (greater than 10 micrometers) and do not stay suspended in the air, this mode of transmission is not affected by special air handling or control of room pressures. Large droplets appear to be the primary route of nosocomial [hospital acquired] transmission.

Droplet nuclei (airborne) transmission entails the production of infectious droplet nuclei, generally 5 micrometers or less in diameter. In contrast with larger droplets, these droplets can remain suspended in the air and be disseminated by air currents in a room or through a facility to be inhaled by a susceptible host. Small droplet nuclei and aerosols can remain suspended in the air for prolonged periods and travel significant distances. Small particles appear to be more infectious, with both the degree of infectivity and the severity of illness and is directly related to particle size. Aerosols smaller than 10 microns have been shown to cause more severe disease and require a smaller inoculum than large intranasal droplets. Preventing the spread of droplet nuclei requires the use of special air handling and ventilation procedures.

So when the droplet is large (>10 micrometers) and in a short distance: Droplet transmission.

When the droplet is small (< 10 micrometers) and can travel a long distance: Airborne transmission.

Hope that may help you!

Good luck!

Airborne Transmission

Droplet Transmission

Droplet transmission occurs when an infected person coughs or sneezes. Airborne refers only to those organisms that can remain in the air for an extended time. The two types of transmission do not always go hand in hand.

I'm looking at what the guy above me wrote and I'm thinking "Huh?????"

Source(s): I'm a nurse.
    • Lady5 years agoReport

and I am looking at what you wrote and thinking "Huh????" I am a pathologist and I have to say, I am impressed by "the guy above you"; he explained everything in great accurate details. And you, a nurse? Well...No comment

Big Pharma Companies Hate This...

Hello, my name is Ken Drew...

In this short and controversial health exposé, I’m going reveal the one amazing little secret, long suppressed by Big Pharma, that will bulletproof your body against the scary illnesses like Cancer, Heart disease, Diabetes, Alzheimer's, Arthritis and more....and its something that you can do right now in your home.

Without ever popping a single pill, getting any dreaded needle, prescriptions of any kind. Even sidestepping alternative therapies that never seem to work. Ineffective supplements that waste time and frustrate you to no end. Not to mention tear a hole in your wallet...

...Or even put you in an early grave.

Think of how you felt today - http://reversediseasetoday.info/young-again-873.ht...

Forget anything you have ever been told about Diabetes. And get this - it has nothing to do with insulin, exercise, diet or anything else you've heard in the past. It's all based on latest breakthrough research that Big Pharma is going Stir Crazy to hide from you. Visit here : https://tinyurl.im/aH1aG to find out what all the fuss is about.

Big Pharma Companies Hate This...

Hello, my name is Ken Drew...

...Or even put you in an early grave.

Think of how you felt today - http://reversediseasetoday.info/tips/young-again-1...

• gilan45 years agoReport

Don't click on the link. It takes you to a very obnoxious, long spiel that never gets to the point. So bad I'd rather chose an 'early grave' than listen to any more. Even though I'm not fond of Big Pharma.

Airborne Vs Droplet Precautions

A droplet is what drips from your nose when you have a bad cold.

Airborne transmission is mist or vapor which can carry bacteria or viruses.

I have no clue