could you put floor tiles as the top of a snowboard box?

Favorite Answer

If you have a boatload of cash (we're talking several hundred to a few thousand) here's the place where you can buy the same stuff resorts have and buy from if they don't have their own in house shop...

http://www.straightlinerails.com (thanks to shanelax34)

If that's more $$ than you can afford, here's the answer I gave the last person who asked this question. And iisas that's one of the worst answers I've EVER heard and I don't give a rip what you're rated in this category.

For the love of everything don't use wood, PVC, linoleum, thin plastic, floor tiles or anything else that gouges or has gaps on the top of your rail or box. Unless you plan on blunting every edge of your board completely you will constantly be catching your edge and gouging the "rail" (even if you don't fall) and then that notch will be screwing up your base every time afterwards that you hit it. But it doesn't stop their, people who have used wood or other material that is too soft, have frequently caught their edge hard enough to crack their board. All of that damage is not a big deal if you're a sponsored pro and can have a new board whenever you want but for the rest of us, that won't cut it. If you really want to build your own set up, call around to find a reputable welder. Have them build the top piece that you want and then build the rest of the frame yourself. And for something even simpler, find a nice piece of pipe at a scrap yard, smooth out any rough spots and then mount it on top of a wood or all metal frame. For a box plexiglass will work but it's still not ideal but I doubt you'll be able to afford or even want to pay the price to pick up the stuff resorts have on the top of their boxes.

Source(s): 14 years of snowboarding and counting... My own terrain park

I can't say I've done it, but the idea of using ceramic as the top of a snoboard box sounds like a ok idea. You would have to keep them well glazed though, once the glaze was gone, they'd be crap. You might also try some good smooth lenolium; that won't chip up and have to be glazed- much lower matinence, I would imagine. You could, of course, stick with some good ol petex or thin smooth plastic, there's a variety of things that might work. Floor tiles doesn't sound like a bad idea though, you'd just have to keep it up.

Have a sick time doing box

Source(s): going into my 4th year snowboarding #3 in this category

if you're not sure it will work then I wouldn't suggest it. I once used tin plates on the top of a box and the board wasn't sliding well. you better stick to the materials that have been tested before.