So why wouldn't Medicare for everyone work? Facts please - not diatribes of hate and fear.?

So tell me in logical plain English, why having everyone in Medicare instead of a thousand for profit private insurance plans would not work. Please give logical, factual answers, and not the crap that the talking heads on the right and left spew. My Dad who is turning 80 is in very good health for his age. ... show more So tell me in logical plain English, why having everyone in Medicare instead of a thousand for profit private insurance plans would not work. Please give logical, factual answers, and not the crap that the talking heads on the right and left spew.
My Dad who is turning 80 is in very good health for his age. And yet when he tried to get supplemental coverage to go along with his Medicare, the lowest quote was for almost $5000 a year, with Medicare picking up 80% of the tab and the supplemental insurer only paying 20%. Logically, if they had to pay 100% of the costs after copays, they would be charging $20,000+ for the policy.

My private insurance is $12000 a year for a family of 4 on a
group policy that covers 5000 employees and their families.
It covered 100% of all expenses after copays for Rx.
Medicare paid $7200 / person last year to cover old and sick people. Private insurance paid $6800 / person to cover young healthy people. So little difference considering groups.
Update: IF the government run Medicare program can provide coverage for a very old, much sicker group of people, and do it for only $7200 per person. Then why is it costing $6800 per person to provide far less coverage for a much healthier group when private insurance does it? If Medicare had the healthier and... show more IF the government run Medicare program can provide coverage for a very old, much sicker group of people, and do it for only $7200 per person. Then why is it costing $6800 per person to provide far less coverage for a much healthier group when private insurance does it?

If Medicare had the healthier and younger people as part of it's group, the average cost would have been lower that that of private insurance. Private insurance and the talking heads will tell you it won't work that way. But that is exactly how they explain the way actuarial tables work in insurance. The more healthy people in a group the lower the cost per person ( premiums) to all.

And all the fear mongering about being forced to go a doctor you don't want is garbage. Medicare has always used private doctors, and nearly all accept Medicare.

A doctor that feels he is superior and should charge a higher fee than Medicare allows, would be free to do so. Let the market decide if you stays in business or fails.
Update 2: "Because medicare trumps any incentive to bring prices down." What the h does that mean??? Medicare has lower costs for a given surgery or procedure than almost any private insurance company. The only problem Medicare is having bringing down pricing is the bought and paid for politicians, mostly... show more "Because medicare trumps any incentive to bring prices down."

What the h does that mean??? Medicare has lower costs for a given surgery or procedure than almost any private insurance company. The only problem Medicare is having bringing down pricing is the bought and paid for politicians, mostly Republican, that insist it not be allowed to negotiate pricing on drugs or other services. That hurts the profits of the big political donors.
Update 3: Beesting I am not at all upset with your reply, I just think you have fallen for the lies told by the insurance companies. You say it is a proven fact that when government gets involved cost escalate. Yet the current Medicare system is providing for a far sicker and elderly population than the FOR PROFIT... show more Beesting

I am not at all upset with your reply, I just think you have fallen for the lies told by the insurance companies.

You say it is a proven fact that when government gets involved cost escalate. Yet the current Medicare system is providing for a far sicker and elderly population than the FOR PROFIT private insurance , and are only paying slightly more per person than the private companies.

And Medicare is not just basic care. My mother had two cataract surgeries paid by Medicare. She waited two weeks, because they had to schedule the procedure. My father had Gal bladder surgery, rotator cuff surgery, and coronary bypass surgery while on Medicare. All were covered, all were done within a week, two within 12 hours. So it is all scare tactics to say you will not have good coverage.

And the talk of hospitals shutting because of Medicare is false also. My wife works at a Hospital that takes Medicare and Private. Medicare pays more for many procedures than private doe
Update 4: Lea Are you kidding me? "The costs for Part D have been lowered than originally projected because of competition. Competition can lower prices." The cost is now estimated by the GAO to be nearly triple what Bush said it would be. And there is no cost savings for Medicare on drugs, as they have... show more Lea Are you kidding me?

"The costs for Part D have been lowered than originally projected because of competition. Competition can lower prices."

The cost is now estimated by the GAO to be nearly triple what Bush said it would be. And there is no cost savings for Medicare on drugs, as they have been expressly forbidden to negotiate lower pricing.

As for the hospitals considering Medicare charity cases. My wife is a nurse at a major hospital, the largest charity hospital in our region in a top 15 metropolitan city. They have no problem taking in Medicare patients, and are often paid more for the Medicare patient on the same care, than they receive from the private pay patients.

You have been reading to many of the drug companies propaganda paphlets.