? asked in 社會及文化語言 · 1 decade ago

Can u tell me the meaning of these sentences below?

let sleeping dogs lie

still waters run deep

one man's mest is another man's poison

measure twice,cut once

when in Rome do as the Romans do

waste not,want not

a stitvh in time saves nine

barking dogs seldim bite

if we spend wisely,we shall not be in want

people of similar tastes and habits like to associate with one another

extra care in the planning of a task saves work later

1 Answer

Rating
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

1.is to avoid restarting old conflicts. Revisiting an old conflict is like waking a sleeping dog; we are better not to do it. Example: 'I wanted to ask her what she thought of her ex-husband, but I figured it was better to let sleeping dogs lie.'

2.'Dont be fooled by appearances. Quiet people are likely to be passionate or complicated, even though they don't show it.'This is used in order to say that someone who you think is very boring or calm may surprise you with hidden emotions and qualities.

3.something that you say which means that something one person likes very much can be something that another person does not like at all.'I wouldn't want to do her job, but she seems to love it. Oh well, one man's meat is another man's poison.'

4.is recommending you to consider at length before you take an important and irreversible decision.Think again carefully

5.'Are you sure we should eat this with our hands?'Answer: 'Why not? All of these people are eating it that way. When in Rome, do as the Romans do!'

6.you don't waste things, you are less likely to end up lacking(shortage of something like resources).

7.if a job needs to be done NOW, it is better to do it now, because it will only get worse, like a hole in clothes that requires stitching, or else it will be bigger a hole.

8.Those who make loud threats seldom(very little time will) carry them out. People who look aggressive are not really too bad

9.If we use money wisely, we will not be out of money and asked for more.

10.people of similar hobbies and interests like to 交往(be friends) with each other

11.詳細而周長地計劃和思考會救回我們的作品,不會有差錯

Source(s): GoEnglish.com Most Popular Idioms page Others
Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.