Ender
Ender asked in EnvironmentOther - Environment · 1 decade ago

I'm an environmentalist, but I'm not like all fanatical idiots that call themselves environmentalists...

I don't litter. I pick up garbage in the mountains when I hike. I realize that nuclear energy is much cleaner and safer (think coal miners) than coal. I understand that the globe is getting warmer, however, haven't been convinced that we're the ones causing it this time. I have no problem cutting down trees as long as new ones are planted. I don't jump on the ethanol band wagon because I realize that it costs a lot and doesn't really solve any environmental issues. I realize that if I sell my car and buy a hybrid......someone else is driving my old car around. I understand that capitalism can and should be part of the solution and not ONLY the problem. I realize that many things are getting better with time and not worse (water, air, etc).

So what's a better name for the left wing nut jobs than "environmentalists"?

eco-fanatics maybe? Secondly, what could we do to get them and others to adopt a more accurate label???

Best Answer

Some of the truest environentalist I know are farmers.... If they don't take care of the earth, then they don't have a way to make a living!

I don't see any need for tougher laws, just enforce the ones we have. Usually, in larger more populated areas, a report will be taken on this and filed with the "never investigate" reports. There is no need for tougher laws, when probation, maybe some jail time, fines, and restitution would follow if the people were ever caught, but it will probably never be investigated. I hope you don't make over-generalizations about environmentalists based on a few childish folks who use environmentalism as an excuse to commit malicious mischief, that they would have done anyway. Some people look for any reason to justify their actions, and in this case environmentalism seemed to justify it for them, even though such acts would never be justifiable, to the rest of us. This kind of act isn't what environmentalism is about, and more educated/mature people realize they just made some company expend more energy to fix the situation they caused, thus going against everything environmentalists believe.

I argue that you are not an environmentalist at all, to be an environmentalist you must also be a humanitarian, which clearly by 'name calling' you are not.

Secondly if you were an environmentalist, you would not make the statements you have above because you would recognize that some were ill informed. Google Mycelium.

Finally negative labels are a way to create 'other' a way of separating yourself from people to make them less than human. Negative labels such as you have applied are the first step to full discrimination.

If you are more environmentally aware than some people, I am pleased, good on you. However, it is naive of you to believe that as your views are 'right' and then others' views must be incorrect. Do some solid research yourself into the issues, then welcome everybody who is interested in the environment. There are no experts, as individuals we do our best. There should be no 'hierarchies', no creation of 'other', we are all part of the same ecosystem and dependent on it's health and the health of mankind for our own survival.

Source(s): Contemporary British Society Abercrombie & Warde et al (2000) Polity Press Mycelium Running How Mushrooms Can Help Save the World Paul Stamets (2005) Ten Speed Press The Earth Care Manual Patrick Whitefield (2004) Permanent Publications.

I think we are just like you, but much smarter. So much of what you said is stupid and misinformed.

Two examples:

"I realize that nuclear energy is much cleaner and safer"

Ok, so the nuclear power lobby has fooled you.

"I have no problem cutting down trees as long as new ones are planted. "

A forest is an eco-system. Replanted trees look like a forest to a human, but are pretty much ecologically dead. They are an ecological ghost town.

You have much learning to do.

Try Conservationist.

I don't have much of answer for you, but i think it would be easier to change your label as apposed to them changing theirs.

Maybe - Environmentally Aware, or Practical & Concerned

I think there are more important things to worry about than labels

ecodeists?