Jews, what is the doctrine of salvation for Orthodox Judaism?

An encyclopedia of Biblical theology reads: “The Jewish doctrine of salvation… is based on the fundamental assumption that man has within himself the possibility of fulfilling the law, and he who has fulfilled the law is righteous. Justification is therefore the work of man himself and is, in the strictest sense... show more An encyclopedia of Biblical theology reads:
“The Jewish doctrine of salvation… is based on the fundamental assumption that man has within himself the possibility of fulfilling the law, and he who has fulfilled the law is righteous. Justification is therefore the work of man himself and is, in the strictest sense of the term, his own merit.”

Is this a true statement? If not, then what is? Any other relevant comments?
Update: If you are answering these questions, would you tell me what your religious background is? I would like to know from what source I'm hearing. Thanks.