elva77522 asked in 社會與文化語言 · 1 decade ago

英文詩Woman Work

Woman Work

I’ve got the children to tend

The clothes to mend

The floor to mop

The food to shop

Then the chicken to fry

The baby to dry

I got company to feed

The garden to weed

I’ve got the shirts to press

The tots to dress

The cane to be cut

I gotta clean up this hut

Then see about the sick

And the cotton to pick.

Shine on me, sunshine

Rain on me, rain

Fall softly, dewdrops

And cool my brow again.

Storm, blow me from here

With your fiercest wind

Let me float across the sky

‘Til I can rest again.

Fall gently, snowflakes

Cover me with white

Cold icy kisses and

Let me rest tonight.

Sun, rain, curving sky

Mountain, oceans, leaf and stone

Star shine, moon glow

You’re all that I can call my own.

Maya Angelou (b.1928)

有哪位了解這首詩的意義?

還有這首詩的作者想要表達什麼?

這首詩的背景 隱含的意義有啥?

諸如此類的詳細介紹.........

知道的可以解釋詳細點

中文英文回答都OK!!

感謝^^

Rating
    Favorite Answer

The author, Maya, is a black woman, who lives in the era of severe

racial discrimination. The social status of African American; especially woman, are pretty inferior to the white at that time.

It can be seen as an irony ( 諷刺 ) to the highly depressive society, and the poet herself are so eager to get freedom from

the conventional bondage. ( 傳統的束縛 )

I’ve got the children to tend

The clothes to mend

The floor to mop

The food to shop

Then the chicken to fry

The baby to dry

I got company to feed

The garden to weed

I’ve got the shirts to press

The tots to dress

The cane to be cut

I gotta clean up this hut

Then see about the sick

And the cotton to pick.

*** This stanza (段) describes the numerous family chores that she must take on as the daily routine.

Shine on me, sunshine

Rain on me, rain

Fall softly, dewdrops

And cool my brow again.

Storm, blow me from here

With your fiercest wind

Let me float across the sky

‘Til I can rest again.

Fall gently, snowflakes

Cover me with white

Cold icy kisses and

Let me rest tonight.

Sun, rain, curving sky

Mountain, oceans, leaf and stone

Star shine, moon glow

You’re all that I can call my own.

*** These stanzas fully express the author's aspiration for the temporary rest from the family burden and the unrelieved ( 無法減輕的 ) house

chores.

Actually, Maya Angelou is a great black woman writer, whose poetry can faithfully reflect the actual social condition of injustice and racialism at that generation.

If you want to learn more about the author and the background of this poem, you can log on to the

following website to do more research about her.

2007-11-09 23:24:59 補充:

http://www.poets.org/poet.php/prmPID/87

2007-11-09 23:25:47 補充:

Hope this can help you!

Source(s): Grace TA's dedication & net search
  • ?

What is the poem about? The phrase "a man works from sun to sun, a womans work is never done" Not only does she have to care for the family and the home but she also has "the cotton to pick." she is looking for an escape, no matter how brief. Have you not thought at one time or another that you would like to be somewhere, anywhere other than where you were at that moment? And all that she can claim to own is nature. I think that considering the hard life she leads that she is still able to take in the beauty of nature and find sweet relief in it is quite awesome. We in this day and age have no clue what so ever what it was like to the life of a slave. Life for a woman was a hard life to begin with, but to be a slave, multiply that by a million. She only touches the iceberg. Now imagine if you will, after all she describes that she had to do, the clothes were washed by hand(no washers or dryers)the clothes were sewn by hand(no sewing machines)and all the meals had to be cooked by fireplace (no microwaves or ovens). And still she was able to take in the beauty around her and find relief in it.

圖片參考:http://oldpoetry.com/images/ext/Oauthor/1/141.jpg

Dr. Maya Angelou

I lived from 1928-unknown. I was from the USA , and am in the Americas category.

I was influenced by poet William Shakespeare.

Maya Angelou, born April 4, 1928 as Marguerite Johnson in St. Louis , was raised in segregated rural Arkansas . She is a poet, historian, author, actress, playwright, civil-rights activist, producer and director. She lectures throughout the US and abroad and is Reynolds professor of American Studies at Wake Forest University in North Carolina since 1981. She has published ten best selling books and numerous magazine articles earning her Pulitzer Prize and National Book Award nominations. At the request of President Clinton, she wrote and delivered a poem at his 1993 presidential inauguration.

From

http://oldpoetry.com/oauthor/show/Dr._Maya_Angelou