Brent asked in PetsOther - Pets · 1 decade ago

Bunnies eating their own poop?

Sorry this is gross. My pet rabbits are eating their poop as they poop it. That seems really strange to me. Any help?

7 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

All rabbits do, It's called copography and is normal. Rabbit produce two different types of droppings - normal feces and cecotropes or "night feces" (though they are produced during the day, too) that look like small, shiny clsuters of grapes. The rabbit's body synthesizes the B complex vitamins and the rabbit consumes the cecotropes to get the B Vitamins

Source(s): =)
    • Login to reply the answers
  • 1 decade ago

go here: http://www.bio.miami.edu/hare/poop.html

I don't know what you are feeding, but most rabbit owners don't feed correctly. NO carrots (except a tiny bit as a treat now and then), however lots of leafy greens. Veggies, in general, are not good for bunny.

Use timothy hay, or three way... many types of hays are much too high in calcium for rabbits. Get it by the flake or bale (as you can safely store to keep from molding). Use this in a nesting box for them (they will use this as a litter box often, so change daily) and also spread around the cage for them to eat.

If you get a rabbit's diet right it really helps their health. Most of what we think we know about rabbit diets is wrong, so this is really important for your bunny.

good luck!

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Yup perfectly normal my rabbits do it all the time. Rabbits cant digest their food the first time so they simply re-eat it. I thought it woz a bit weird at first to.

Source(s): Personal experience
  • 1 decade ago

its perfectly normal for them to eat there poop its just dijested grass dont be worried it may be gross but its ok!

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago

It is perfectly normal and if you think it is gross then get a different type of pet.

Source(s): Rabbit breeder, exhibitor and owner for 35 years
  • 1 decade ago

its normal for rabbits to do this in fact it is essential for a rabbits dietry and health requirements that they do this!!

• 1 decade ago

its sometimes normal! but its a bit gross..... you know it!

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.