srhamm asked in Arts & HumanitiesHistory · 1 decade ago

did Kierkegaard anticipate the invention of the television?

I heard Chuck Colson on a radio program quote a book that alluded to Soren Kierkegaard anticipating a "tube" that would enable many to see one event (i.e. broadcasting), and that such an invention would cause the masses to lose reason (or something like that). The book's claim was that Kierkegaard anticipated the invention of the TV by 100 years. Does this have any credibility?

Favorite Answer

I can't judge whether or not Kierkegaard really envisaged and anticipated the invention of TV. But this quotation from his works suggests that he certainly might have. I believe that this must be the same quotation that Chuck Colson used: -

"Suppose someone invented an instrument, a convenient little talking tube which, say, could be heard over the whole land...I wonder if the police would not forbid it, fearing that the whole country would become mentally deranged if it were used."

Source: scroll down to "Be careful what you see" at the link below.

• LORD Z

As I understand that thought it was related to the idea that light bends and it you can see far enough with a telecope or tube of a sort you can see your pst and or your future. If as i interpret this you can in fact see your future then you may find yourself lacking a will to act. Reason works in the present but if you know the outcome of an action without taking it and the action does not change the outcome then why take the action. In other words, why think if you know the outcome.

This has nothing to do with television. This has to do with physics.