Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Politics & GovernmentPolitics · 1 decade ago

richard nixon?

hey guys, can you help me please? I'm doing a reasarch about richard nixon and I need to finich it with the answer for how this person changed the US history or culture?

thank you vey much!!!!

(please only put things that will help me, don't put stupid stuff please, I really need this!!)

Update:

Thanks guys, you are really helful!!!

8 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

Richard Milhous Nixon (January 9, 1913 – April 22, 1994) was the thirty-seventh President of the United States, and was the only U.S. President to resign the office. Elected twice to the presidency, he served from 1969 to 1974. He was also the thirty-sixth Vice President of the United States, serving in the administration of Dwight D. Eisenhower (1953–1961). During the Second World War, he served as a Navy lieutenant commander in the Pacific, before being elected to the Congress, and later serving as Vice President. After an unsuccessful presidential run in 1960, Nixon was elected in 1968.

Under President Nixon, the United States followed a foreign policy marked by détente with the Soviet Union and by the opening of diplomatic relations with the People's Republic of China. His centrist domestic policies combined conservative rhetoric and liberal action in civil rights, environmental and economic initiatives. As a result of the Watergate scandal, Nixon resigned the presidency in the face of likely impeachment by the United States House of Representatives. His successor, Gerald Ford, issued a controversial pardon for any federal crimes Nixon may have committed.

Nixon experienced a stroke on April 18, 1994 and died four days later at the age of 81.

That's the beginning of a good article on Nixon. Link attached.

Another thing you might be interested in was his relationship with Henry Kissinger; his Secretary of State. Those two people had a huge hand in crafting the political landscape of today.

• Noah H
    Lv 7
    1 decade ago

As a person, Nixon had a lot of 'issues'. He didn't like 'Jews', but relied on Henry Kissinger for good advice. He was solidly for the State of Israel. He hated 'communisim', but 'opened' China in a way that no democrat could have politically gotten away with. He was realistic enough to do his level best to get out of Vietnam, though he was personally inclined to escalate that war. He was not well informed about environmental issues, yet he established the EPA and made certain that the environmental laws had teeth. He was no less racist then most men of his generation, yet he was strong on civil rights. I don't believe that Nixon 'changed' history or 'culture', though the American culture changed around him and his entire Depression and WW2 generation. Nixon was mostly a 'place holder' in office. but a good place holder. Eisenhower, Nixon and Ford were the last of the moderate republicans who held the line against the post Goldwater or 'new' (neo)conservatives. Once the Reagan faction came into office and put an end to the 'Fairness Doctrine' in mass communication, a complex propaganda campaign began to discredit anyone, 'not them'....that's when the term 'liberal', used as a perjoritive came into existence. Now, at least until the next election cycle is over, we're stuck with people that Nixon would have had no use for! Weird..Nixon is looking better and better!

• 1 decade ago

I think the pardon of Richard Nixon showed the people that we've had in power since and especially now that there is no accountability and that they are in effect above the law. I think that he also set the stage for a lot of secrecy and paranoia in the executive branch.

• 1 decade ago

my son is doing a report on him also wikipedia was must useful only president to resign pardoned by gerald ford had 4 brothers quaker religion pats really name was thelma watergate the nixon doctrine wrote several books after his presidency

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 4 years ago

Had an fairly wonderful canine named Checkers. ... ... ok ok. heavily? better commerce w/ Russia and detente (hastening the top of the chilly conflict); de-escalated Vietnam regularly words (regardless of if fairly bombed everywhere in the map), tried to develop nuclear peace, created EPA and OSHA, created the parks branch, created affirmative action, better college integration, moonwalk. on the different hand, he supported Pinochet, Operation CONDOR/grimy conflict as an entire, bombing Cambodia, compelled Taiwan into nearer kin with China, escalated the Indian-Pakistani conflicts, and fully dropped the ball on Kent State. conversing as a liberal, i think of Nixon's _intentions_ have been sturdy--i think his heart replaced into interior the best place. yet i think of he wasn't decrease out for politics, replaced into too unquestionably charmed with the aid of risky people in assorted areas of the international, and that i think of Watergate replaced into in fact inevitable given his character.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

C'mon - get the computer working for you !!

Read: Search engine - type in Richard Nixon - get LOTS of info !!

'Nuff said.

• 1 decade ago

People have been far more cynical about their leaders since Watergate and the resignation.

• 1 decade ago

richard nixon was a nazi working undercover just like our president bush

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.