why do people think that god hates gays?

okay, i am bi (mostly gay) and nobody knows. but i am sick of people saying that gays go to hell, I have some proof that god does not disapprove of gays. If god really is the ultimate creator and is pretty much perfect. Then how is it that he does not accept gays even though straight people here on earth can accept us, unless of course you're saying that you're better than god? By the way, dont say that you dont accept us, because plenty of people dont really care what our sexuality is. The only person I have ever come out to is perfectly fine with it, and she doesnt treat me any differently. In fact we are closer than ever now.

Favorite Answer

Mostly misinterpretation of the bible.

First I would like to say being Homosexual or Bi-sexual and Christian are not mutually exclusive you can be both not all Christians will accept that and not all religious denominations will accept you but I believe firmly that Christ who is the savior of all, will accept and love you as you are.

You clearly have an attraction to other boys and that is a defining trait of being gay, or bi-sexual. Accept yourself for who you are and others will too.

It’s not a parade not every one will be kind but it is the same for any small group. "Nerds in school are picked on", "the fat kid is always ostracized" and "Gay kids get there share of bullies too" Unfortunately school bullies and popular kids can be unenlightened and cruel.

I understand not wanting to stand out or be defiant.

But above be yourself in the end you will be happier and wont end up living a lie. And trust me its just as bad living a lie as living with the burdens of being gay.

You can choose not to act on your gay impulses but you can't change who you are, and you'll just live an unhappy life hiding from yourself.

"I want God's gay and lesbian children to know of God's unconditional love and acceptance of them as well. We cannot find any condemnation in scripture for committed monogamous same-sex relationships." Rev. Charles Copping, Chaplain of the Arizona Legislature in a letter to legislators, sent 2000-NOV-7;

"The half-dozen biblical references to homosexuality do not reflect what we understand today about loving relationships. This is an identity, not a sin." The Rev. Dan Johnson of Good Samaritan United Methodist Church in Edina, MN.

"I am always amazed at how the Bible, that portrays my Lord embracing the outcasts, touching the lepers, welcoming the Samaritans, not judging the woman taken in the act of adultery, and inviting 'all of ye,' not 'some of ye,' to 'come unto me,' can, in the hands of a few distorted people be turned into a book of hatred, violence and judgment."

"In reality, there are no biblical literalists, only selective literalists. By abolishing slavery and ordaining women, millions of Protestants have gone far beyond biblical literalism. It's time we did the same for homophobia." Rev. William Sloane Coffin

Many Pastors and Religious Scholars have often interpreted passages as condemning men who sexually abuse boys, men who engage in homosexual ritual sex in Pagan temples, men intent on raping other men, etc. They view the Bible as being silent on sexual behavior within a consensual, monogamous committed homosexual relationship.

For example, they might identify the sin of the men of Sodom as explained in Genesis 19 as attempting to rape strangers. Alternatively, they might quote other biblical passages as proof that the main sin of that city was their uncharitable behavior towards strangers, and their uncaring conduct towards the poor, the widows, and needy

Most Compassionate Christians accept homosexuality as an alternative, normal, natural unchangeable sexual orientation for a minority of humans which is accepted by God. It is something that a person is.

Study passages from your favorite English version of the Bible, which is filtered by the theological beliefs and homophobia (if any) of the translators. If so, then you will find many passages in the Bible which condemn certain forms of homosexual behavior.

Follow the ancient Hebrew, Aramaic or Greek writings and attempt to understand precisely what the writers taught. If so, then you will find that these same passages condemn specific homosexual activities (rape, prostitution, etc.) But the Bible appears to be silent about same-sex, committed, monogamous relationships.

There are two Hebrew words which are often associated with homosexual passages and which are mistranslated in many English versions of the Hebrew Scriptures (Old Testament):

Qadesh means a male prostitute who engaged in ritual sex in a Pagan temple. This was a common profession both in ancient Israel and in the surrounding countries. It is often mistranslated simply as "sodomite" or "homosexual." (E.g. the King James Version of the Bible, Deuteronomy 23:17).

The companion word quedeshaw means female temple prostitute. It is frequently mistranslated simply as "whore" or "prostitute." A qadesh and quedeshaw were not simply prostitutes. They had a specific role to play in the temple. They represented a God and Goddess, and engaged in sexual intercourse in that capacity with members of the temple.

To'ebah means a condemned, foreign, Pagan, religious, cult practice, but often simply translated as "abomination." Eating food which contains both meat and dairy products is "To'ebah" A Jew eating with an Egyptian was "To'ebah." A Jew wearing a polyester-cotton garment would be "To'ebah."

In order to understand what the Bible has to say on heterosexual activity, we could consult the original Hebrew texts, dividing all of the references to heterosexual sex into different categories:

rape;

sexual abuse of children;

ritual sex in Pagan temples;

prostitution;

sexual orgies;

non-exploitive, consensual, monogamous sex in a loving relationship, etc.

The final category is the only one that would help us understand what the Bible teaches about heterosexual activity in a committed relationship. After all, a verse which describes how an army kidnapped some female virgins for use as sex slaves does not tell us anything about the role of sex in marriage today. A verse that discusses temple prostitution during the worship of Pagan gods does not instruct us about feelings of romantic love between a man and a woman.

Similarly, in order to comprehend what the Bible says about gay and lesbian relationships, we must pass over the references to homosexual rape, male sexual abuse of boys, and homosexual prostitution, orgies, Pagan sexual rituals in temples, etc. We would be left with only those references relating to consensual sexual activities within homosexual partnerships. There may not be any of these. The Bible may be as silent on loving, committed same-sex partnerships as it is about planes, trains and automobiles.

There are biblical descriptions of three close and intimate relationships between members of the same gender. But there are no unambiguous passages that show that they were sexually active.

The Bible often condemns heterosexual and homosexual exploitive, manipulative sex, and prostitution, but may be totally silent on consensual homosexual relationships.

One is left with many Biblical passages which condemn fornication - sex outside of marriage. If one were to accept these passages as inspired by God, then one can conclude that the Bible considers homosexual sex within a committed relationship as equivalent to a man and woman living together common-law without having being married.

The word "homosexual" generally refers to sexual orientation. People have one of three orientations:

Most are heterosexual: they are sexually attracted only to members of the opposite sex. 85%

A minority are homosexual: they are sexually attracted only to members of the same sex. 1:10 10%

A smaller minority are bisexual: they are attracted to both men and women, but not necessarily to the same degree. about 5%

The term dates from the late 19th century, when human sexuality began to be studied as a science.

The use of the word "homosexual" in English translations of the Bible

There is no term that means homosexual orientation in the original Hebrew, Aramaic and Greek texts of the Bible. The authors of the Bible did not understand sexual orientation and thus did not write about it. Biblical authors had little or no understanding of same-sex committed relationships. Rather, they assumed that everyone was heterosexual, but that some heterosexuals engaged in sex with persons of the same gender as in the greeks. Thus, when you see one of these words in an English translation of the Bible, it is important to dig deeper and find what the original Hebrew or Greek text really means

Because they don't know what they are talking about. (And I'm an Evangelical Christian...)

I apologize for all the crap and meanness I'm sure you've received from a lot of my fellow "Christians." What they tend to forget is that sin is sin. (I'll spare you the verses.) :-) God doesn't hate you, or anyone else. Now He doesn't like a lot of what we do, and wants us to turn from those things and have a relationship with Him, but He doesn't hate us. Heck, He created us in His image. And gave us that darn gift of "free will."

None of us qualify based on what we do. Any sin, *ever* disqualifies us from heaven from a Christian perspective. By choice - or not - doesn't matter.

The whole point of the Bible is that we can't do it based on our actions. That's the whole reason for Him sending His Son down here - that whole "so that whoever believes in Him will not die, but have everlasting life" thing.

If He needs us to change who we are or what we do, He can take care of that later. The party is "come as you are." We get to let him do the hard part. Neither me, nor any of my friends, met any sort of "good enough" standard when we became Christians. Although we've all been hugely changed since becoming Christians.

So if any of us can read the Bible and not find plenty of areas where we "fall short" - on our own - we're not reading very carefully.

Ask them about that idea next time someone hassles you. He created you in His image and He does really want to have a connection with you. He doesn't hate you.

Assuming you're talking about Christian religion - the old Testament in Liviticus 18 indicates that a 'man lying with a man as with a woman' is an abomination. This and some stuff in Paul is the basis for Christian discrimination against all homosexuals (men and women, even though the bible doesn't mention lesbians at all).

Since we really don't actually know what god thinks, if it exists, and the bible is a much translated collection of information written by humans, not god, I generally assume that since same sex desire seems an unchangeable characteristic for some people that god - if existing - planned for that too.

And last, Jesus never said a direct word against homsexuality and, in general, preferred that we love each other like brothers (and sisters) and, if I'm going to follow some archaic religious precepts, I'd prefer to follow that.

Sammy-

Thank you for asking such an important question. The reason many people think God hates gays is because they've never studied the Bible for themselves to see what it says.

That was my problem. I was a gay guy growing up in a very conservative Baptist family. Here is my story.

http://www.gaychristian101.com/My-Coming-Out.html

There is a ton of good information on the web that teaches truth about God and gays.

God loves gays and lesbians, bisexuals and transgendered people. Don't ever let anyone convince you otherwise.

The Bible verses people use to condemn gays and lesbians, in context, do not refer to gay people at all. They are referring to people who used sex to worship the fertility goddess.

http://www.gaychristian101.com/Molech.html

http://www.gaychristian101.com/Shrine-Prostitutes....

Hope this helps. God loves you SO much. Never, ever let anyone convince you otherwise.

Rick B.

http://www.gaychristian101.com/Same-Sex-Attracted-...

Many people interpret verses in the bible for what they want. Jesus told it like this...Love the person but hate what they do. There are many scriptures in the old testament that says that homosexuality was hated by God but it never said that God hates the person. He may hate the act of homosexuality or anal sex but he still loves the person. At least that is how I understood it. I believe that God is a God of grace and love and he will love all who believe he is God. He is gracious and accepts anyone who loves him. That is ANYONE who loves him no matter what they do or where they come from.

Source(s): By the way, I'm bisexual. There are many, many other things in the bible that people do on a continual basis that they aren't suppose to do either. For some reason they like to target us and make us a spectacle. They can't seem to find real problems to deal with like child abuse, drug abuse, or things like that.

God doesn't hate gays. If people would learn to read they would see that no where in the bible does it say homosexuality is a sin. An example in Leviticus- first of all these are directions for the levites--second, lay is refered to as having sex-it says do not lay with a man as you would a woman,--it is not saying do not lay(have sex) with a man,it is saying don't do it the same way as a man.

People will tell you that God has the finally say, that it doesn't matter if people accept you being gay. that the bible says that it's wrong, so that means it's wrong. period.

Now. I am gay and I've never had an attraction to the opposite. I've tried to change but I guess Gods final say is that I'm gay, it's natural for me and I find that I feel much happier when I can just be my gay self.

Dear Friend

Thank you for doing so much to educate people regarding God's Law. I have learned a great deal from your opinions and knowledge, and I try to share that knowledge with as many people as I can. When someone tries to defend the homosexual lifestyle, for example, I simply remind him that Leviticus 18:22 clearly states it to be an abomination. End of debate.

I do need some advice from you, however, regarding some of the specific laws and how to best follow them.

a) When I burn a bull on the altar as a sacrifice, I know it creates a pleasing odor for the Lord (Lev 1:9). The problem is my neighbors. They claim the odor is not pleasing to them. Should I smite them?

b) I would like to sell my daughter into slavery, as sanctioned in Exodus 21:7. In this day and age, what do you think would be a fair price for her?

c) I know that I am allowed no contact with a woman while she is in her period of menstrual uncleanliness (Lev 15:19-24). The problem is, how do I tell? I have tried asking, but most women take offense.

d) Lev. 25:44 states that I may indeed possess slaves, both male and female, provided they are purchased from neighboring nations. A friend of mine claims that this applies to Mexicans, but not Canadians. Can you clarify? Why can't I own Canadians?

e) I have a neighbor who insists on working on the Sabbath. Exodus 35:2 clearly states he should be put to death. Am I morally obligated to kill him myself?

f) A friend of mine feels that even though eating shellfish is an Abomination (Lev 11:10), it is a lesser abomination than homosexuality. I don't agree. Can you settle this?

g) Lev 21:20 states that I may not approach the altar of God if I have a defect in my sight. I have to admit that I wear reading glasses. Does my vision have to be 20/20, or is there some wiggle room here?

h) Most of my male friends get their hair trimmed, including the hair around their temples, even though this is expressly forbidden by Lev 19:27. How should they die?

i) I know from Lev 11:6-8 that touching the skin of a dead pig makes me unclean, but may I still play football if I wear gloves?

j) My uncle has a farm. He violates Lev 19:19 by planting two different crops in the same field, as does his wife by wearing garments made of two different kinds of thread (cotton/polyester blend). He also tends to curse and blaspheme a lot. Is it really necessary that we go to all the trouble of getting the whole town together to stone them? (Lev 24:10-16) Couldn't we just burn them to death at a private family affair like we do with people who sleep with their in-laws? (Lev. 20:14)

I know you have studied these things extensively, so I am confident you can help.

Thank you again for reminding us that God's word is eternal and unchanging

Hundreds of years from now, the kings, emperors or whatever they were, needed soldiers to be killed for bullshit (their own glory), like today. So, with the help of some priests, they invented it.

At the same time, they say GOD IS LOVE. He is, andit is not up to us to decide what god hates. Because he is love, he can´t hate.

Only people with closed minds thinks that God hates gays. God creates everything on this planet and He loves everything He creates.

If, indeed, all gays go to hell then we will have one heck of a party, becuase all the partys I go to with gay people are the funnest things!!!

• xyxoxy

If the people who constantly throw the bible in your face were to actually take the time to sit down and read it, especially the details surrounding Leviticus that they so love to misquote... then they would realize that a few queers (meant lovingly) are the least of their problems.

Heck... they would even have to stop eating SHRIMP !

Oh and my body DOES fit very nicely with someone of the same sex and I have the photos to prove it.