Is there a specific phobia for fear of having a child with a disorder?

I know it sounds terrible, but I'm terrified of having a kid with a disorder of any kind, whether it be mental redartation, a physical disability, or some type of genetic disorder. I feel like I wouldn't be willing to care for a child like that because of the frustration of knowing I'd never have a "normal" kid.

Is there a certain "-phobia" that describes this?

5 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

TERATOPHOBIA

Fear of having a malformed child, An abnormal and persistent fear of bearing a malformed child is termed teratophobia. A phobia is an unreasonable sort of fear that can cause avoidance and panic.

The term "teratophobia" is made up of "terato-" and - "phobia." "Terato-" comes from the Greek "teras" meaning monster + "-phobia" from the Greek "phobos" meaning fear = literally, fear (of) monsters. Teratology is the study of malformations and a teratogen is anything that can cause a birth defect.

The term dysmorphophobia also means fear of bearing a malformed child.

Hope I helped and don't worry about things like that to much...its fairly uncommon. <3

• 1 decade ago

I honestly don't know, but I do know that every mother has that fear. There's nothing wrong with that; we all want what's best for our children!!

If it happens that a child of yours needs special care, you'll find it in youto love them just that much more, and you'll have no problem taking care of them. That's what parents do.

• 1 decade ago

haha! nice!!! Izzy you crack me up! i don't ever know why i bothered answering this! because i dont' have a real answer..sorry..they should deduct me 2 points for not having an answer...well, i know you still love meeee!!!! C=

skeeredofchildbeingamutantphobia

there..there an answer C=

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

I don't know what they would call it, but EVERYONE has it. I know i do, because I swear I would rather go to hell for making my wife have an abortion than go through with having a problem child.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Yes, it is called littleyellowschoolbusaphobia.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.