Is there a specific phobia for fear of having a child with a disorder?

I know it sounds terrible, but I'm terrified of having a kid with a disorder of any kind, whether it be mental redartation, a physical disability, or some type of genetic disorder. I feel like I wouldn't be willing to care for a child like that because of the frustration of knowing I'd never have a "normal" kid.

Is there a certain "-phobia" that describes this?

Favorite Answer

TERATOPHOBIA

Fear of having a malformed child, An abnormal and persistent fear of bearing a malformed child is termed teratophobia. A phobia is an unreasonable sort of fear that can cause avoidance and panic.

The term "teratophobia" is made up of "terato-" and - "phobia." "Terato-" comes from the Greek "teras" meaning monster + "-phobia" from the Greek "phobos" meaning fear = literally, fear (of) monsters. Teratology is the study of malformations and a teratogen is anything that can cause a birth defect.

The term dysmorphophobia also means fear of bearing a malformed child.

Hope I helped and don't worry about things like that to much...its fairly uncommon. <3

I honestly don't know, but I do know that every mother has that fear. There's nothing wrong with that; we all want what's best for our children!!

If it happens that a child of yours needs special care, you'll find it in youto love them just that much more, and you'll have no problem taking care of them. That's what parents do.

haha! nice!!! Izzy you crack me up! i don't ever know why i bothered answering this! because i dont' have a real answer..sorry..they should deduct me 2 points for not having an answer...well, i know you still love meeee!!!! C=

skeeredofchildbeingamutantphobia

there..there an answer C=

I don't know what they would call it, but EVERYONE has it. I know i do, because I swear I would rather go to hell for making my wife have an abortion than go through with having a problem child.

Yes, it is called littleyellowschoolbusaphobia.