Meat suppliers for your local grocery store?

I asked a question the other day regarding bad beef. Noonecanne answered with her own interesting question, and she has given me rein to ask this.

Does anyone know if there is a web site that tells you where your local grocery store purchases their beef?

Say Wal-Mart. I tried to google it, with no luck.

Any ideas?

Favorite Answer

I found this on the Internet. I think its a start.

From its Georgia headquarters, meat processor Roger Wood Foods supplies the southeastern US with hot dogs, smoked sausage, bacon, Hispanic foods, and other meats. Under such brand names as Roger Wood Lumberjack, Redwood, Sabrosa, and Solana, the company ships their products to deli and grocery retailers including Wal-Mart, Albertson's and Kroger. The Solana family owns and operates the company their grandfather Roger Wood founded in 1946.

I buy my pork, eggs and poultry from a small market run by the Amish....they raise and butcher all of the animals.

I only by fresh beef and seafood from either Wegman's or Whole Foods - both of which are natural food stores who use local suppliers when they can. Their meat departments, seafood department and butchery are all in the open so you can see the meats being processed. The have 2 or 3 suppliers they use and only buy from them.

I might pay more but I know what I'm getting and where it's from. The only imported products I purchase are pasta, Italian or Spanish olive oil and Dover cream from England.

I buy what is in season that is fresh. No processed foods beyond the usual like peanut butter, jams, etc. I cook from scratch, don't own a microwave = nor do I want one.

• nappa

the big meat suppliers are excell, ibp, same kane and nebraska beef. most companies use one of those companies, but wal mart just went into a new beef program as their meat has no solution added to it now to increase sales as beef sales are way down in every store nation wide because of the high cost and health issues with cutting down on red meat. tyson and parkland are small time beef suppliers as they are big into pork and poultry. I am thingking wal mart uses parkland as a friend worls for them and was showing me the new brands they have now.

All big chain stores handle many brands as just one company can't supply all the beef they need,. the comapny I work for handles excell, sam kane and nebraska and alot has to do with the pricing also, if we can buy one kind of beef for lets say 5 cents per pound less than we do as 5 cents is not much but times that by 80 lb boxes times 5 boxes we order per week tims 800 hundred stores and that's alot of money. we have meat buyers who do just that and that's why we get 3 differant kinds of beef and pork each delivery.

Source(s): work for big chains for 39 yrs. and still doing it

I get chicken necks, backs, skin and bones from a poultry processing plant and grind it all together. I pay 30 cents a pound. I also get farm raised atlantic salmon from an aquaculture hatchery. They hatch a lot more fish than they can finish raising in there offshore pens and I get some of the leftovers for free, about 1000 pounds a year of 4-5" fish. Other people I know get road kill deer and moose. I have done that a couple times. I feed the dogs the bruised meat and eat the rest myself.

So far, I've had them look me straight

in the eye and lie like a dog. (do dogs

lie?) Anyhow, There was a large display of lovely oranges in the produce section.

I asked person,"Where do these oranges come from?" He says, "Oh, I'm pretty sure they come from the Bay area.(SF)".

Which I said,"Then why do they have Chinese writing all over the boxes.?

I proceeded to clue him in about actually knowing where the produce comes from and stop lieing about it.

I told him it was his duty to tell the customer correct answers. I further said,"If you think I'm paying the crude

oil to bring those oranges to California,

when we have perfectly good oranges

here,you got another think coming."

"Plus, how much pesticides and coloring were sprayed on these oranges to kill the bugs and make them look good." He just looked at me

and walked away.

I'm on a crusade folks!!! If we keep

buying this crap without causing a

stink, then we deserve what we get.

Did you know that much of the imported food from China is grown on

family farms where human excrement

is used as fertilizer? Do you want

to eat somebody elses c - - -?

I'll talk about the meat tomorrow nite.

• Cranky

I make it a habit, and have for several years, to know where my grocer buys meat. And, I do not buy meat from any other retailer.

Many items in the store will say that your place of purchase is a distributor for whatever company it is. However, private labeled products usually do not.

• CJ

Try this www.WalMart/Bentonville.com Their HQ is in Bentonville, Arkansas - hope this helps!