What subject to teach (Secondary)?

I am currently switching my major to something I have more interest in; from mathematics to history. My college offers a few things; A bachelor of History that allows you the history certification, a bachelor of history that allows all the social studies spectrum. The thing that caught my attention was the ESL supplement I could also earn.

I've wanted to be a teacher since I was a child, but I have had a hard time deciding the medium which to teach. I wanted something practical and real world. Something also in demand.

I live in Texas, and won't be able to leave for a long time due to my family's health crisis.

I have a burning desire for history, and to help out those who don't have it easy. I've considered using what language I know coupled with ESL and a master's degree to fulfill my dream.

Any opinions?

Favorite Answer

Just look at your own gulf coast. Look at the cowboy driving his double xl rabcher to the fast food joint. Look at the climate changes as a result of all this. Look at our waste amnagement and water policies. Look at the excess nitrogen being dumped in your gulf coast as a result of over fertilization from the non-organic crops of the country. And the waste from fecal matter at the animal gulags of the country trickling down to polute local water supples. Look how alternative energy is being stamped out by these oil tycoons controlling the media and how instead we are told to buy a bigger truck.( like a true american cowboy). Why isn't it the law that we recycle and compost outr organic waste to be put to better use in community gardens? Why dont these multibillion dollar fast food resaurants take all the organic waste they generate and compost that? Why are we still killing people just to get at the oil under their feet when we now have the technology to run the world in a sysnergistic manner with the earth? what have you done for your community? Why do we destroy forests to "protect them from fires" when we should be recycling. What caused chernobyl, and how can we say that our nuclear reactors are so damn safe from terrorist threats. Why have we not learned from the incident in India involving the pesticide plant? What is happening to the worlds bees? In china there are areas where the bees have copletely died out and the farms must be pollinated by hand. Do you think humans can pollinate the worlds flora by hand. The pesticides are killing bees and producing more immune pests. Why have we almost completely stopped our exports and buy everything from China, malaysia, and other countries that utilize child and slave labor. Do we really want to be a communist nation. Do you ( or anybody you know) have a clue what happens to Buddhist monks, Christians ,and other "threats" to the communist regime. I cried when I heard a female monk recoun t how she was dragged a way striipped , told she was a whore and had a cattle prod inserted into her vagina before passing out from the pain. Do you really think there is no threat to the world. Do you know the price peolpe in Africa pay for you bimbo wifes diamond ring. They're paying hand and foot my friend and quite literally. Is global wrming just a boogeyman type tale you tell children to keep them in line? Or is it the cause of more frequent and powerful hurricanes? katrina and Rita ring any bells? Shouldn't workers have the right to jobs that help the community and enviroment instead of destroying it? Shouldn't they have a right to jobs that won't get them killed? Why aren't police men, firemen, teachers payed better than salesmen and real estate tycoons. What service does the latter provide that is better than our so called "civil servants". More like civil slaves. Why isn't the trash man the recycler man? Why is it so expensive to eat healthy foods, and how come these pills the doctors , more like drug dealers, provide don't do jack? What happened to prescribing a change in lifestyle. Why are alchohol and tobacco (the leading cause of death in america) legal when the one drug that never killed anyone (marijuana) isn't. The answer to all these questions is simple.MONEY! The answer to the solutions is not so simple.Just yesterday I saw a bioneers conferance anmd it seemed they took everything that has been occupying my mind these last few months and expanded onnthem and offered very helpful insight. They alo brought up issues that had been on the back of mind but I know realise should be at the fore front.Check out the bioneers. These are the questions that can spark the ideas in young minds to change the world.Make them aware of these things, make them aware of the NLP that politicians use to control our thoughts.How has T.V. turned the whole nation into a bunch of sick minded voyuers?How has pornography become this accepted thing?Where are our morals?Where is the love? How has this bull sh*t rap music destroyed our youths minds.How is video games desensitising us to violence?Turn off your T.V. and turn on to Salvia Divinorum. **** the status quote.If we don't change than our childrens world will be aliving hell. By the way I am eighteen nad not some codgering old baptist fundamentalist. I wouldn't reccomend attacking religion as a teacher but let's get rid of that too. Also let's get rid of the shame of the human body. I am against porno, but not nudity. We have very warped minds due in no small part to organized religions.

Source(s): Bioneers conferance,Tibet: Cry of the snow lion, Wal-Mart: the high cost of low prices, Katrina, Watching brainwashed a- holes .