Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Entertainment & MusicPolls & Surveys · 1 decade ago

Why do people from across the pond add an extra "U" to some words?

Sorry, I'm American.. so I was referring to those of you that are NOT American...

Nice name calling btw.

Favorite Answer

They've not added it. We've subtracted from the spellings we use in our counrty.

the ONLY one *I* find annoying amongst theirs is "vacuuuuuum."

• Gnome

I think it's kind of cool, really. I don't have a problem with it, because, when you think about it, the language here in the states is woefully lacking in correctness.

Whatever caused some words to become altered here is something that can't be blamed on anybody but ourselves.

Besides, when you read a question or see an answer, you can get a clue where they are from by the spelling.. LOL.

I'm American and we are the ones that got it wrong. The "U" should be there in the first place. The English language is deteriorating and too many slangs are being added to the dictionary that the correct way of spelling and pronouncing words are diminishing.

I'm American and I add that "u". I love that "u". I used to get marked on papers for spelling that way. What drives me nuts is reading and seeing tire spelled "tyre" and an "s" where Americans use a "z".

We say we speak English but we obviously speak American. Although for the sake of arguement, some of these words came into existence when America was already here for almost a century, and they were invented here. So why the change in spelling?

We just don't have time to add the u when it really isn't necessary! So we changed a few things, big deal! It comes with revolution and new ideas.

I think the extra U adds a touch of class that we would do well to adopt. Kind of a French flavor...

What is your favourite Colour? Yeah.. I dont know, but canadians do it too.

I've notcied that sometimes they spell the word color like "colour" and the word favorite like "favourite". It drives my crazy.

Americans are to lazy to write another letter. so colour becomes color, and Favourite becomes favorite. and were not from across a pond.

There's a nut house on the other side of that pond