Anonymous
Anonymous asked in TravelAfrica & Middle EastLebanon · 1 decade ago

how to count the number of sand in sahara desert?

can i count them using calculator?

Favorite Answer

Hey Ginduras!!

Welcome!

Don't worry, u won't get bored here in our category!!

OK the question looks silly but since you posted the question I'll give you a way to answer it...

Sand is defined as grains that measure from 1/400 inch (0.06 millimeter) to 1/12 inch (2.1 millimeters) in diameter. This corresponds to specific weight of 0.30 - 13 mg

How sure we are ?

Using the ranges of diameters, you can obtain the volume of the sand grain by using the formula for the volume of a sphere

volume = 4/3π·radius3

To find the diameter:

density = mass/volume

Therefore sand diameter = 0.060 mm diameter = 2.10 mm

Now the Math part where you would like to use the calculator.

Take the 0.060 mm as your sand reference:

1km is equivalent to 1,000,000 mm so therefore the lateral number of sand grain in 1km is about 16,666,666 and therefore one square kilometer of Sahara Desert will hold a lateral number of sands of about 6.125 x 10 to the 15th power. (that is you multiply 16,666,666 twice)

SAHARA Desert is about 9,000,000 square kilometer. Therefore:

(9M )x 6.125x10 15th power will give you the lateral number of sands (surface area number). That's a lot !!!

The challenging part - you consider now the volume. Meaning we are onely talking about the surface number of the sands, we have not yet taken the sands below !!!...You can do this by multiplying the surface area number by the depth say 1 meter or 2 meters or 3 meters and so on and so forth...

So I would say YES the sands in the SAHARA desert can be really counted using calculator (provided it is the scientific calculator !!!)

Any more question ? how about the volumetric water quantity of the the Pacific Ocean? Just tell me the specific gravity and we will do the Math together.

Do you mean pressing +1 so many times on your calculator I think you couldn't do that! I think you take one cubic centimeter and count several times that amount for an average. If we knew total volume of Sahara desert we could make a formula to show the number of sands it holds. The desert changes and grows. Who knows its size?

You scoop up a cup of sand and count the grains in the cup. Then you calculate how many miles and how many cups in the miles and do a lot of multiplying and before long, you got it. Of course it will be an estimate but what's a little grain of sand here or there to matter.

No. Calculators are no good for counting grains of sand. I would recommend a teaspoon. The only trouble is that you would have to put the grains you have counted in a bag to avoid double counting. You will need lots of bags. When you have finished counting, please remember to put the sand back (or it won't be a desert anymore).

its around 300 zillion zillions & 10 billions, 420 milions, 495 thousands, and 173.

u do not believe me?! go n do the count again!!!!!!

not enough digit on the calculator unless it is a scientific one ???

I would be very impressed if you did do it ... Let me know when you finish...

Try an abacus. It might go faster.

haahaaa..get out a bit more mate ;0)

no..calculator won't be good enough, you need the ancient chinese wooden calculator..