in the book "to kill a mocking bird" does the title refer to a racial slur?

i understand why Atticus says its a sin to kill a mocking bird(all they do is make music, ect) is he referring to how much hate is built between white people and African Americans. African Americans are mockingbirds right? i think i thought it out pretty well let me know

Favorite Answer

lol....u have too much time to think.....stop thinking too much and read another book.....

Here are my hints for you to use while actually completing YOUR OWN HOMEWORK. Don't be a slacker, read a book, it won't kill you and you might learn something. Geeeeeeezzzzz.

#1) It is a generously short book.

#2) An all time classic and just two days ago the Harper Lee was given the Medal of Honor from the president for writing it.

#3) Be a man and read the book already, impress yourself.

#4) Go to dictionary.com and look up the word analogy and that might help you with your question once you have READ THE BOOK!!!!

I can't believe the people at the bottom of this list are implying that the title has nothing to do with the theme of the book.

Atticus Finch: I remember when my daddy gave me that gun. He told me that I should never point it at anything in the house; and that he'd rather I'd shoot at tin cans in the backyard. But he said that sooner or later he supposed the temptation to go after birds would be too much, and that I could shoot all the blue jays I wanted - if I could hit 'em; but to remember it was a sin to kill a mockingbird. Well, I reckon because mockingbirds don't do anything but make music for us to enjoy. They don't eat people's gardens, don't nest in the corncrib, they don't do one thing but just sing their hearts out for us.

Harper Lee summarizes the story in the title -- To Kill a Mockingbird. A mockingbird represents innocence. The story tells us of an innocent man who is sentenced due to racial prejudice. The plot is set in an era with severe racial injustice.

The book is full of analogy and metaphor. Was Boo Radley not a mockingbird that did no harm to nobody and that is why Atticus protected him from the torment of the children.

The farmer who went to the courthouse to Lynch the prisoner, embarrassed that Scout announced to the world that he was paying Atticus off in hickory nuts because he was painfully poor. It goes on and on. That's all I got to say about that.

And although generously short is relative I am holding a first edition in my hand and it is all of 287 pages, that's pretty short.

Atticus is defending an innocent man against a whole town who wants to see him hung - mainly because a black man had a relationship with a white girl. I always thought the title had more to do with innocence . . . a mocking bird is innocent and has done no wrong, just as Tom is innocent.

Or, according to SparkNotes:

"Boo provides an example of the threat that evil poses to innocence and goodness. He is one of the novel’s “mockingbirds,” a good person injured by the evil of mankind." (Boo is not African American, but this reinforces my interpretation of the title.)

"Tom is one of the novel’s “mockingbirds,” an important symbol of innocence destroyed by evil."

In other words, I see no evidence of a racial slur in the title.

no its not exactly a racial slur

in the book tom robinson is suppose to represent the mockingbird

he did not do anything bad but go around helping people

but mayella still put him up for his life by accusing him of rape

therefore

she is killing a mockingbird

I hardly think that harper lee intended that thought when she titled the book. this book was written after her family . that is kind of a crude reference if you ask me . I would go back and re read the book . good luck and god bless.

the 'mockingbird' thing just refers to a general person who is the subject of prejudice.

and person who said it was generously short- it's not really.

You have come up with a thesis. Now see if you can support it.

----

They're, Their, There - Three Different Words.

Careful or you may wind up in my next novel.

Pax - C

Ive never read the book, and really dont care to,but I dont think so. Seems kind of vulgar dont you think? As far as that goes!!!

the great thing about literature is that it can be interpreted in various ways, as long as you have evidence!

Source(s): studying to be an English teacher

I've never heard this and I don't believe that your statement is true.