Can the State of Maryland legally force me to resign in this situation?

I started out working for the State of Maryland and after about a year, I was approached by a supervisor in another department who asked me if I was interested in working for her instead. It was technically a promotion and although my probationary period had ended for my former postion, I was told that because I... show more I started out working for the State of Maryland and after about a year, I was approached by a supervisor in another department who asked me if I was interested in working for her instead. It was technically a promotion and although my probationary period had ended for my former postion, I was told that because I was starting in a different position, that I would be put on another probationary period. I accepted the position. I enjoyed the work but I didn't quite click with my supervisor as well as I had hoped. Long story short, I called out of work (three days) because of depression (diagnosed, clinical) When I came back to work today, I was told I had to either resign or be fired and subsequently get a "black mark" on my record which would bar me from ever being employed by the state again. Is it legal to just straight out fire me? I know I'm on probation again but they wouldn't even give me my former position back. That position is still open. Is this legal?