Can the State of Maryland legally force me to resign in this situation?

I started out working for the State of Maryland and after about a year, I was approached by a supervisor in another department who asked me if I was interested in working for her instead. It was technically a promotion and although my probationary period had ended for my former postion, I was told that because I was starting in a different position, that I would be put on another probationary period. I accepted the position. I enjoyed the work but I didn't quite click with my supervisor as well as I had hoped. Long story short, I called out of work (three days) because of depression (diagnosed, clinical) When I came back to work today, I was told I had to either resign or be fired and subsequently get a "black mark" on my record which would bar me from ever being employed by the state again. Is it legal to just straight out fire me? I know I'm on probation again but they wouldn't even give me my former position back. That position is still open. Is this legal?

Best Answer

You need to talk to an attorney who specializes in employment law in your state. Look in the phone book. They won't charge you anything for the first consultation. At the very least, they might get you a decent settlement for losing your job. Don't take advice from strangers, friends or family. Call a lawyer tomorrow.

There are all kinds of rules for state employees that differ state to state. Generally, you are far more protected than working in the provate sector. You should talk with wither a lawyer, or an ombudsman for state employees if Maryland has one.

If you happened to be a Republican and were fired because of political affiliation, you can sue; however, you would have to prove that you were fired only because of political affiliation.

If you worked at the pleasure of somebody else, he/she can fire you anytime without cause unless the political angle can be factored in.

Yes, it's legal.

They can fire you anytime when you are on probation.

You should not have skipped out on 3 days of work.

idk but thats not fair at all call a lawyer and see