Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Science & MathematicsMathematics · 1 decade ago

What does the "M" & "B" stand for in Y=MX+B?

i know what they represent, but what do the letters actually stand for?

Update:

THOMAS A: did you even read my question?

16 Answers

Relevance
  • Joy M
    Lv 7
    1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

Those letter are simply arbitrary, they don't actually stand for anything. You could replace with any other letters (other than x or y, of course) and the equation would be exactly the same. In fact, some teachers, instructors, professors do use other letters than m and b.

• 1 decade ago

The letters M and B are representative of values and could be just about anything. They are a algebriac expression which represents angles. In your formula the X plane is horizontal and the Y plane is vertical. Because you are using the ordered pairs X and Y I assume that you are working with planes. Consider Y=2X+5 The bar on the plane changes the M/B value as it is moved. X and Y are constants and M and B are variables.

• 1 decade ago

M stand for the slope of the line i.e the angle it makes with the X axis measured in anticlockwise direction

B stands for the the length of the imtercept it cuts with the Y-axis

• 1 decade ago

In math, the variable M stands for slope (y2-y1 divided by x2-x1) and the b stands for the y-intercept, which is the coordinate at which the graph of a line intersects the y-axis. (y-axis goes up and down)

Hope this helps =]

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago

The letters don't stand for anything.

They're just variables.

If that's what you're asking.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

M means the slope and b is y intercept( where the point hits the line on the y axis!)

Good luck!

Source(s): Me a freshmen in gemotry!
  • 1 decade ago

Amazing how many people don't respond to what you ask - but that doesn't stop them from responding just the same.

I don't know why we use M and B instead of any other letters.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

m is slope

b is yintercept

i guess i didnt read your question either...sorry yeah i dont think they actually stand for anything . i hate math!!

• 1 decade ago

I dont know for sure but this might be able to help a little http://www.georgeaugustkoch.com/Writings/Slope.htm

• 1 decade ago

the letters don't stand for anything its just there so its not all xs

Source(s): high school freshman
Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.