Anonymous
Anonymous asked in HealthWomen's Health · 1 decade ago

is this PMDD??

my past 5 periods or so havent been too great. except for my last one, which was fine.

i have all the normal pms symptoms but i get really emotional, every time somebody says they cant do something w. me i start crying and become paranoid. i get really mad at all my friends if they dont talk to be about something. i get really moody..massive mood swings...crying one minute but then being perfectly happy the next minute. i also get tired and start eating heaps.

symptoms usually last from 1-2 weeks before the start of my period, and end until my period ends or starts.

im just wondering whether anyone thinks this is PMDD (because i saw the yaz commercials) or just part of being a teenager (im 15)

if you think it is who do you think i should approach about this?? or do you think im just being paranoid??

thanks.

Best Answer

Twenty to fifty percent of women between the ages of 30 to 40 with regular menstrual cycles experience premenstrual syndrome (PMS) as a regular physiological occurrence every month. In more severe cases, affecting three to five percent of menstruating women, this syndrome is labeled as premenstrual dysphoric disorder (PMDD).

Patients with severe PMDD are at risk for developing postpartum depression. Furthermore, women successfully treated with antidepressants often show breakthrough symptoms of depression in the premenstrual phase of their menstrual cycle. All that is needed is a small increase in the dosage of the antidepressant premenstrually.

Women with PMDD complain of irritability, anger, tension, marked depressed mood, and mood lability (crying spells for no reason, verbal outbursts, or tantrums ) to such a severity that quality of life is seriously compromised. In addition to these symptoms, some women complain of lethargy, sleep disturbance, limited concentration and a host of physical symptoms such as breast tenderness, headaches, joint and muscle pain, bloating and weight gain.

The primary symptoms that distinguish premenstrual dysphoric disorder from other mood disorders (i.e., major depression) or menstrual conditions is the onset and duration of PMDD symptoms with symptoms appearing during the week or so before and disappearing within a few days after the onset of menses and the level by which these symptoms disrupt daily living tasks. (This diminished level of functioning is generally in great contrast with the same woman's interactions and abilities at other times during the month.)

The symptoms of PMDD may resemble other conditions or medical problems, such as a thyroid condition, depression, or an anxiety disorder.

I would recommend consulting with your doctor for diagnosis if you think you are suffering from PMDD.

Good luck :)