divesh asked in PetsDogs · 1 decade ago

Can a dog get a glass eye?

my dog has a bad eye and its really big compared to his other one and he cant see out of that eye either and i would like to know if dogs can get glass eyes

Best Answer

yea, but better to get a cats eye.

Source(s): poob

What has the vet said about the eye? Does it need removed, or can it be saved?

If an eye is badly damaged and needs removed, a dog can get a glass eye in it's place. (It seemed odd to me when I learned of this, but I know a person who's dog lost it's eye and the vet asked them if they wanted a glass eye so the dog would still look the same. I don't know how it works out, that individual I know opted against the glass eye.) It's purely cosmetic. The dog doesn't care that you can tell it lost an eye, it's all for the owner so the dog still looks normal to them. (If my dog had to have an eye removed, I'd be fine with it just being stitched shut.)

• Rose

I am sure that the artisans who make prosthetic eyes for children and adults are skilled enough to make a convincing-looking canine eye. However, since artificial eyes can come out, the best thing to do for the dog, healthwise, would be to suture the lids. A veterinarian would probably consider inserting a glass eye instead to be a violation of his ethical oath.

Sure, but what's the point? Humans get glass eyes to look normal - it's not like they can see with them.

Yes but the dog truly won't care either way it may look a little better but it really might just look like he's winking at you all the time you won't notice it

i dont think they can, mostly because dogs don't care about their appearences and there is really no need for one...accept for the owners benefit.

No. Have you taken it to the vet? If you haven't, I would be going there pretty quick.

Depands whats wrong with it.

You don't even know what's wrong with it.