Can i get just any power supply for my computer?

I have a brand new dell inspiron slim that needs a graphics card, but first it needs a power supply, so i was thinking about putting in any 450w good quality power supply to it, would it work? Does it have to be inside the computer? might not be big enough if it does.

I dont really mind it being outside, its just that its the slim tower and i dont know if it can fit.

Favorite Answer

Most important is probably whether or not the your power supply can handle your computer, and not the other way around.

http://www.extreme.outervision.com/psucalculator.j...

Second of all, make sure it fits. As in, bust out the tape measure.

And if you bought one of those slim dell towers, you might be **** out of luck. I suppose if you want to be enterprising you could buy the one you want then cut the case to fit it.

I don't think there's any danger to an exposed power supply--and you can still insulate it if that's what you're afraid of.

I don't think the slim Dell computers use standard sized ATX power supplies. If you're lucky, its a SFX size and you can still get a different brand. If we knew the exact model, we could give you more detailed information.

You can put the same type of power supply in as long as it fits in the case. I doubt that would fit because this is OEM case and especially brandname computer. It has to be inside otherwise it doesn't look good and cables are not long enough.

It SHOULD be inside the computer, and as for the 450w thing, i don't know. You should look off the power supply box the computer came with and see how many w's it has.

NO! The wrong power supply will screw up the motherboard and you won't even know it. Spend the money (It's not that much) and go to a Dell store -- get the right power supply.

• paik

between the answerers above claimed a computing gadget in use is like having on a 40watt bulb. nicely, in the experience that your 40watt bulb attracts approximately a hundred and fifty-200watts, i might heavily ask for my funds lower back. i've got checked various the computers i've got owned with a skill-intake meter, and that they have got a tendency to apply between a hundred and fifty-200watts. skill is measured in watt/hours, so a computing gadget like this left on for an hour might use 200watt/hours of electrical energy. those computers have had processors interior the a million.5Ghz-2GHz selection. once you're utilising a very quickly processor and you do numerous gaming with a fancy snap shots card geared up, you're able to in all threat stick yet another one hundred-150watts onto that. A CRT video show makes use of a honest quantity of skill too - my previous 15inch one averages approximately 80watts. liquid crystal show video show units tend to be much less skill hungry than CRTs. Leaving computers on whilst they don't look to be in use isn't in basic terms a waste of funds yet of course additionally an uneccessary contribution to international warming. yet another element to remember is that digital factors have constrained lifespans, many times measured in tens or 1000's of 1000's of hours. Capacitors (you will locate lots of those on your skill furnish and on your motherboard) have shorter lifespans than many different factors, heavily shorter in the event that they are run in heat or warm environments.

I would get one that will fit into the computer. One identical in size, but maybe a larger wattage

if you have a slim one, youll need a micro atx power supply (probably)

it does have to be in the computer, anyways, any psu will work. there all the same size, unless you get a super fancy one with 1000W. the it has all other kinds of crap.

i would go with a 650 w...a few more dollars, but will do the job