How do I install a switch that has a pilot light, that controls an outlet that is GFCI protected?

I want to have a switch that controls an outlet up in eave that a heater for de-icing will be plugged into. I want the switch to have a pilot light so I know when it is on or off. I also want this switched outlet to be GFCI protected. How would I go about installing this?

4 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Best Answer

If the receptacle for the de-icing heater is more than 6 1/2 feet from the ground, and is a dedicated circuit for that purpose, it is not required to be GFCI protected.

That said. You run your black wire from the source (panel) to the switch. Then a black wire from the switch to the line side of the GFCI on the black wire side. The white wire from the source, directly to the line side of the GFCI on the white wire side.

If the pilot light is in the handle of the switch, it simply uses voltage from the hot wire to light. If the pilot light is a separate lamp, you will need to connect it to the black and white wires present in the switch box before continuing to the receptacle outlet.

Source(s): I'm a real electrician
  • Joyce
    Lv 4
    4 years ago

I hope you don't have just 2 wires, should have two for outlet and two for switch (either hot and neutral to switch and hot and switch leg from light, or hot and neutral to to outlet and switch leg and neutral to light). If you do have only two wires, and the white is hot, you need to call an electrician, somebody added a outlet to a switch box, the white is hot coming from a light j-box to the switch, and the black is the switch leg going back to the light. When the switch is off, the plug sees it's neutral reference through the light bulb, when you turn the switch on both sides of the gfci are hot. Very Bad!

• 1 decade ago

power up a gfci outlet (it does not matter where this receptacle is located) THEN from the load side of the gfci run your wires to the switch. switch the black wire only (bundle the whites) feed the receptacle that you will be plugging into with the switched hot and the white and ground wire. make sure the switch you buy is the type that lights up when it is on (very common at any home improvement store)

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Run a power lead ( line 1 ) to one side of the switch. Run another wire from the other side of the switch to the light then in series to the line side of the gfi. run a neutral ( line 2 ) wire to the other side of the light and then in series to the neutral line side of the gfi.

When you turn on the switch the light will come on and your heaters.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.