Can a Car pass an M.O.T test witha noisy clutch?

I am considering buying a car and am slightly paranoid due to my lack of knowledge even though the guy I'm supposed to be buying it from is trustworthy. The car had a noisy clutch and a friend of mine says this means it has a problem with its clutch plate or cable and so wouldnt have passed the mot that it allegedly just has, he reckons that the mot certificate is dodgy and that I should report it. I was hoping that maybe someone could clear this matter up for me are there any MOT testers who can help?

this is great guys he is going to fix the problem before I buy so it doesnt make the noise [hes a mechanic] was more concerned about the legitamacy of its mot. thanks for clearing up the confussion

Favorite Answer

The MOT does NOT cover the clutch, not knowing what the noise is, its difficult to say what could be wrong with it. However work on the assumption that you will need a complete new clutch set (Clutch plate, Pressure Plate, Thrust bearing) Depending on the car the price for this work will vary from £300 to £500.

Bear this is mind when you offer a price for the car.

Your Friend has obviously as much collage as a gold fish ....if he thinks the mot is dodgy because the clutch is noisy then may i suggest u take someone else to check the car or maybe a family pet

The most likey thing that causes this is a noisy thrust bearing. If the noise disappears when you depress the clutch, then this is definitely what it is.

It won't affect the MoT, but it is a sign that your thrust bearing is on its way out, which means gearbox off and replacing it. The part won't be that expensive but the labour will, as it is intensive work. If the bearing goes, you won't be able to use the clutch at all, so no go for the car.

Source(s): Retired traffic police officer. Vehicle examiner.

The MOT is basically a test for safety and not performance... The clutch would not affect it's safety and is not part of the test,,, However it will need dealing with before long and might be expensive so think twice about this buy,, unless the purchase price is sufficiently adjusted to allow for this. t

• mark

The MoT test doesn't include the clutch plate as it's sealed. It should include the cable though.

But, if it's noisy you will almost certainly have to change the clutch - and that's not a cheap job. I'd think twice...

The MOT does not include the clutch. All that is needed is for the car to be drivable, and meet the requirements on brakes, suspension. lights, steering, seat belts, emissions, no excessive rust etc etc.

the whole car is a shed...will fail on something else as well...