18, and wants permission to drive with boys in cars.?

with all the teenage car accidents happening and the fact that she cant nor doesnt have the time to meet all my male friends that drive... how do i get her to allow me drive with them... we both know im responsible but she says she doesnt want to risk my life. I have no argument...what should i do?

7 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago
    Best Answer

You're 18. You are legally an adult. If you don't like the rules, you should move out on your own.

• 1 decade ago

Listen, pal- you are 18 years old. That means you are an ADULT under the laws of all states, and you need NO ONE's permission to drive anywhere, with anyone you want to be with, and this includes your male friends. Your mom or whoever this is does NOT have the right to prohibit you from driving a car with a male passenger in it, or from being in a car driven by a male driver, even if that driver is your own age.

Your mom undoubtedly knows all of this, but this is the argument you need to use on her. Meanwhile, on your own, you need to start looking around for a car of your own- you are old enough to sign contracts and get credit, and I would recommend that you get your own vehicle as soon as you can. You may have to get a job and earn the money to buy it- but that will provide benefits of its own, including making you more independent and financially secure, and able to provide for yourself, which is something you should be doing anyway these days. Any extra money can be put aside and saved for college expenses- at your age you should also be looking into college and a career.

Your mom loves you and wants the best for you, like most parents, but she also is having a hard time letting you go and severing the apron strings, so to speak. It's not always easy for parents to let go of their newly adult kids- it tends to remind the parent that they aren't getting any younger, and that hurts. Your mom is justified to some extent in worrying about your safety- that's why you need to show her you are responsible and know how to behave appropriately when it comes to driving or riding in a car with other people. Make sure that you carry and know how to use a cell phone at all times when driving- but NEVER USE IT WHILE YOU ARE BEHIND THE WHEEL, and NEVER LET ANYONE YOU ARE RIDING WITH DO THIS EITHER !!! When you or another person are driving, that should be THE ONLY THING you and they are focused on, for your own safety and the safety of everyone else on the road with you. Cell phone use and driving DON'T MIX, any more than DRINKING and driving mix.

It's also a good idea to show your mom that you have a basic understanding of how to deal with car or driving related emergencies, such as what to do in case of a flat tire or a dead battery. Keep your speed DOWN when you drive, and NEVER tailgate anyone !!! Have your mom ride with you while you are driving to school a time or two, so she can see that you are responsible and know what you are doing. Offer to help pay for the cost of car insurance, gas, and upkeep costs, and FOLLOW THROUGH on that offer. The point in all this is to show your mom that you are and will be responsible, and perhaps some of her fears for your safety will ease off somewhat.

I hope this helps.

Source(s): Someone who didn't get their first driver's license until I was in my mid 20's, due at least in part to parental interference like this.
  • 1 decade ago

You are 18, but you are living under parent's roof, soooo....the choice is yours. Try and reason with the parents, or move out. If you try and reason, do so as an adult, not a child. Maybe she has a unsaid reason why she is afraid to let you go. Good luck to you.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

your 18, adult she cant stop you... use your brain as to if they are idiots.

Any alcohol, dope, driving too fast or eratically dont get in car or ask to get out

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 decade ago

Your an adult woman ride with whom ever you want! Simple!

• 1 decade ago

you're 18, why do you need permission

• 1 decade ago

if you dont like their rules then move out

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.