With a masters degree, how can I get a job teaching college?

I've got a master's degree but not a PhD. I know some of the colleges in my town hire Masters graduates to teach, but they only seem to post the jobs that are "PhD required." How do I get linked up to teach for them?

• chuck
    Favorite Answer

First, determine what jobs you would be qualified to teach. Learn which schools teach what classes. Then go to the schools, and to the departments in question, and start asking questions. Also stop in the college's human resources depts and ask. It is important to show up in person and ask. People won't be as interested in helping if you call on the phone.

In some areas, a master's is enough. Other places want you to have a master's + some sort of teaching credential. Others want a PhD. It depends on supply and demand, mostly. Don't forget to look into teaching at vo-tech schools, which, in my experience, are more likely to accept master's only. Note that virtually any job you get teaching with a master's degree will be temporary, part-time, and adjunct.

Talk with someone at a local college and find out what the requirements are, i.e how long will they give you to get the PhD? And if you don't want to go on to get a PhD, you might want to reconsider so that you can get a great job, not just filling in because no one else was available. Don't let the lack of further education hold you back if this is what you really want. Find the school that will hire you until you can get further education, but enjoy the job you have on the way to that goal.

Getting linked is always about applying. They don't know you want the job until you apply, so do it before someone else gets the job you want. And if you are refused, ask why, and then apply at other places. You can ask at a career counseling office in your local college; they have loads of information on how to use your degree.

One suggestion is to see if the colleges offer Adjunct positions. Often they pay less, usually by the hour, but they tend to allow for MAs to teach. If they like you, it can lead to a more permanent position. However, I would caution you before getting your hopes up for a tenure track position, as most colleges still only offer those to PhDs.

Junior College, but you won't get a full time job. In the mean time you need to work on your PhD (sorry).

with a masters degree, you will have to take the teaching test to get certified as a teacher

Apply?

Last person that got one of those was pouring coffee at the donut shop. LOL sure was worth it huh?

Source(s): Khair inshAllah Justice League Cap!

start at a community college.

Apply and enjoy your class.

You should call the school and ask