avillax asked in SportsMartial Arts · 1 decade ago

Do muslims practice martial arts?

Do muslims practice martial arts?

I am almost certain they don't since probably their religion prohibits it. But I am curious.

By martial arts I don't mean straping bombs onto your bodies.

Yeah but what about foreign martial arts in Islamic countries?

Best Answer

Abu Dhabi hosts one of the most prestigous grappling competitions in the world. From wiki "The ADCC (Abu Dhabi Combat Club) Submission Wrestling World Championship was created by Sheik Tahnoon Bin Zayed Al Nayan, son of Sheik Zayed, former president of the United Arab Emirates, on suggestion of Renzo and Royler Gracie."

I dont think you can find a race or group who hasn't some form of combat hand to hand in their history.Some of them have evolved into mere cultural displys with little practical use only seen at festivals and such.

Argentina Rocca a well known wrestler in the 50s when it was still real had both elbows dislocated by some skinny tribes man in BRAZIL .

As for muslims perhaps the TURKISH form of wrestling could be considered their martial art as the TURKS have practiced it since before ALEXANDER THE GREATS time may have even had some influence on PANKRATOS and GRECO ROMAN wrestling.

Their religion doesn't prohibit practicing martial art but the question is do they allow their women to practice martial art.

Yep. I've seen footage of a female TKD class in Afghanistan (though it was kinda funny to see some of the students training in full burkah). An Iranian has won a medal (bronze, I think) at the World Poomse Championships. That's not to say they only have TKD in muslim countries, a good portion of Muay Thai fighters come from muslim-filled areas.

• Ray H

Yes, muslims do practice martial arts.

Indonesia is a predominantly Muslim country and is also the origin of Silat. But Silat predates Islam in Indonesia.

In the Arab world as such, Koshti is from Iran and Sayokan is from Turkey. I have no idea what either is like.

Egypt also has it's own stick-fighting system.

Lots of them do Krav Maga. Sort of a military style survival kill or be killed martial art. Teaches how to fight multiple people, people with knives, guns ect ect. It's actually better than what our boys get taught. Imo.

yes they're allowed to practice martial arts but they arent allowed to go out and use it on someone unless they absolutely have to because attacking someone is a sin. luckily, that's what regular martial artists usually do anyway. unless you're bruce lee who used to go calling people out in the street until they started calling HIM out.

I don't think martial arts discriminates based on race or religion. and I'm pretty sure many of them do

Yes, some of them do.

Why would their religion prohibit it? even monks practice martial arts.

Source(s): my brain ;)