denied a green card for a criminal record?

hi..i am 17 years old and i have applied for a green card with all 3 other memebers of my family. I received a notice that i was missing something, so i got all that done and sent it in. A day ago we received for papers from the INNS and 3 of them were congradulating my three other family memebers. Now mine said that it was transffered somewhere else, and they are going to schedule an interview. Now i am a little nervous because i got arrested a year ago for being a bit drunk with some friends...it was a stupid thing to do..and i regret it at times. Anyway do u think that is why they want to talk to me..?? cuz the got my prints and now they want to see what happen? is that a possible reason? thank you

Favorite Answer

If you were arrested and are now in the NCI database, kept by the FBI, they have to check it out before they can proceed, and they need your prints before the FBI will release the information. Anyone who was printed by the police or DHS will be in the system. Once they check it out, they'll get back to you. If it's bad news or good news, they'll let you know. Based on what you've said here, it's very unlikely to be bad news.

• Cher

Possible. Can you apply for your record to be ex sponged? Also, be sure you list your name in the draft (at 18). This is a big one they'll hold against you if you don't.

Congratulations to you and your family. I am so happy to hear you are trying to do the right thing. You are a great example to other immigrants.

the reason they are doing that is because it shows that you have or had a case with the dept. of justice but it doesnt show them what you did. they will schedule you and ask for a Live scan so the dept of justice can let them know if you are cleared for a green card. as long as you dont have any felonies ( drugs, violent crimes,terrorism ect...) you should be ok. as long as you dont have anything pending with the dep of justice.

It probably is. Not sure what you could do about that, except contact an immigration attorney once you go to the meeting and find out for sure.

I don't know about green cards but any drug or alcohol violation is grounds for deportation. Should have thought about that before you started drinking underage.

It very well could be the hold up. If you get convicted of any crime you face deportation - and I will note with the hundreds of millions of good people in the world who would never break any laws out there (and who would love to be in your shoes) you should be deported.

Sorry - I don't think you are necessarily a bad person because of one bad night but you screwed up and need to face the music.

Did you lie about the arrest on the application?

Often it's not the crime, it's the cover-up that will get you in trouble.

YES - a criminal record WILL get you denied for a green card!

ONLY when a pardon has been issued, or after a certain period of time (I think 7 years) - THEN you can re-apply...

Good ... you're BUSTED Buster.

I am glad the Immigration people are FINALLY checking criminal records ... FINALLY!

I can imagine that "now" you're sorry ... that you got caught? And now Amigo you're facing the consequences, so don't whine.

Such is life.

• Shira

i dont think that being arrested for that reason will have such a big impact on their decision, it would be one thing if you killed a person but this shouldnt matter