Anonymous
Anonymous asked in PetsDogs · 1 decade ago

why are black dogs least likely to get adopted?

• Shanna
    Favorite Answer

Statistically they are the last to be adopted. Nobody can explain for sure why that is, but it seems to be that black dogs tend to look more intimidating and draw a smaller amount of people.

Personally, black dogs are my favorite and I have 2 of them.

Well, it's always said that large, black dogs are the least adopted, and where I live, I believe it because there are a ton in the shelters. I guess it's just a person's particular preference, and when people adopt dogs, lots of people go in to get little puppies. I guess big, black dogs are intimidating to some people. I really don't care what the size or color is as long as it's a good dog with a good personality!

THis answer is totally true, because I know it first hand.

I volunteer at an animal rescue and have been for the past year and a half. I know of a dog that has been there for 5 long horrible years. And guess what.... She's black.

Most animals that are black seem to be just as scary to people as pitt bulls or rotties. They are also not as nice looking as a Golden or Brown dog.

There really isn't a very significantdifference in behavoir, although the black dogs might be a bit more hyper and rambunctious. They might have more of a personality though...

I hoped I have helped out a bit,

Angelina

Source(s): My own personal knowledge...

They may not catch the adopters attention the way a lighter colored dog does. My Akita mix is black and most people assume she's mean although she is a sweet girl and the love of my life. I heard that Muslims consider black dogs bad luck although I'm not certain about that.

I think that it could be because the hounds of Hell are supposedly black so that maybe it is a combination of a lot of things, they can appear meaner, they have a bad reputation from Hell, and the lighter ones are easier to look into their soulful eyes and so quicker to identify with and therefore adopt out.

In my own case I have two black Dobermans but my neighbors do think they are mean and they do act stupid that way with strangers so maybe black dogs Are meaner? But I love my dogs. I also used to own German Shepherds . Then there are the Hell dogs, Rottweilers because of the Omen movie.

Source(s): 40 yrs of dogs & 25 yrs Professionally Grooming

I think people think they will be mean. My 2 rescues are both black and look really mean. They are sweethearts though. I only found out about your question after I adopted these 2. Of course I knew I was naming them Johnny & June, so they had to be "Dogs in Black"!

I think it is because it is harder to see their eyes, People get swayed by their sad soulful eyes. I prefer black dogs actually, or at least one with some black on it, I find brown to be too "plain" for my tastes, and white dog's get dirty fast. Black dogs's coats also shine very beautifully, even though they get hot in the sun faster than other colors. and my cat is also a black cat, I have a black dog, a blu merle dog, a black cat and a puppy that is predominately black tricolor...

• Boss

People say that black dogs appear to be more intimidating, so people interpret them as being more aggressive. I'm not sure if this is actually true, but it's obviously a misconception.

Add:

I meant: I'm not sure if it's true that people feel this way about black dogs. I didn't mean to sound like I wondered whether they were actually more aggressive- I know they're not.

i didnt know that either until i started fostering dogs through a rescue. we had him for 10 months and we finally just decided to adopt him. when we finally went through the paperwork they told me its really hard for them to get rid of the black labs. i dont understand why either. i have 2 black labs and i probably wont own any other dog.

Not all the time. Some people may associate the color black with evil... just like black cats.