Has anyone delayed solids until one year?

I started giving my baby solids at seven months, doing baby led weaning, and she's done very well. However as she is now nearing her birthday, I am noticing a huge increase in the amount of food she is eating and a sharp decrease in milk intake. She seems 'ready' for solids in a way she wasn't before, yet she happily ate them, tucking into sandwiches within days of her first food, lol!

I thought I'd try and wait longer with my next baby - until they reach this 'true' level of readiness for solid food. It would decrease chances of digestive problems and allergies too I believe.

Has anyone done this and exclusively breastfed until one year or longer? At what age did you start and how did it go?

Thankyou for your time!

Best Answer

I didn't but some of the mommies in my breastfeeding group have gone that long and longer. You are welcome to join:

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/milk_drunk/

I have up at 7 months because my son was eating grass every day ;-)

However I don't think that the increase in solids intake at one year is really means they weren't ready before that. The solids just weren't needed as much. But there is something to be said for letting them have solids when they only eat small quanities at a time, it should be less taxing to their system that way. I know that's what you do for baby rabbits, you introduce a very small amount of a new food first to allow their digestive system to "learn". (Obviously rabbits aren't humans)

Source(s): PS I did baby led weaning -my son only ate what he could feed himself. Also no grains until 9 months. He didn't necessarily eat even once every day until he was a year. Just whenever he was interested in what I was eating he'd steal a taste.
  • josi

There is another growth spurt at around a year, so that could be what is causing your daughter's increase in solid food intake.

Although I have heard that it can be advisable for a baby with a history of allergies to delay solids up to a year, I think it would really need to be considered case by case and there might be risks involved for some infants to delay.

I've been following a self feeding approach with my daughter as well. She is 10 months and I am also breastfeeding. I think the fact that they show interest and are able to self feed so well from 6, 7, 8 months on is an indication that they are developmentally ready. I think if you subscribe to the idea that solids is more for practice than nutrition before a year, then the bulk of their calories will still be coming from breast milk.

I have read that full gut maturity happens at around 11/12 months (sometimes later), which is why babies will often outgrow sensitives they show to foods through breast milk or their own consumption in earlier months. I'm not sure if there is a time for "true readiness" but I think that delaying certain foods could be beneficial, but not necessarily delaying them altogether.

Just my ideas!

I don't think a doctor, health visitor or any midwife would recommend delaying introducing solids. A baby should be started with solids by six months and at the end of 6 months be on to 3 meals a day. When a baby is born it has a supply of iron from the mother to last it until about 6 months of age but when the baby starts sitting up and using more energy these iron stores start to deplete, and this is why you need to give your baby iron enriched foods by at least 6 months. This is why some babies are ready for solids earlier than others, because some babies are far more active than others. By delaying introducing solids you could also be introducing an iron deficiency in your child...

My son is 11 months old and he is really struggling with his solids. I started at 4 and half months under pressure from friends and family and regret it now as he just wasn't ready. I only did it because I was bullied into it.

Its a real battle to get food down him sometimes. Given the chance he would just breastfeed and not bother with the solids. I've never had a problem with breastmilk not satisfying him.

Next time (I hope there will be a next time) I'm going to try baby led weaning and wait till they definitely show signs of readiness. I think some people just wean early because they can't be bothered to carry on with milk feeds and want their babies to sleep for longer. Its selfish.

Hi,

Yes, I delayed solids also. I have four children, the oldest being twelve and the youngest being five months. I breastfed them exclusively. I didn't know any better with our first so I gave him solids at five or six months. But he weaned at 18 months. With our third, I gave her solids at nine months, but gradually. I offered a few Cheerios and a bite or two of what we were eating, but not a regular schedule of solids until she was older than a year. I weaned her at four years old! She still wanted to nurse even at five. With our youngest who is now five months old, I have decided to wait until....... That's just it. I don't think any food is as nutritious as breastmilk. So if she can gain weight and stay healthy on breastmilk alone then I am going to wait until after a year to offer solids. Other countries wait even longer than a year to offer solids. I asked our pediatrician about it and he said as long as she is satisfied with breastmilk and isn't hungry, in other words, as long as I can produce enough milk, then it is a wonderful idea. The reason women don't produce enough milk to last a year exclusively, is because they offer solids which in turn cuts into their milk supply because anything that you offer in place of breastmilk will cut down on the milk. Supply and demand is the name of the game.

Hope this helps. You are not alone in doing this. But we are in the minority. But there is so much to be gained and learned from it. Imagine how healthy our babies will be?!

As you probably already know, a baby should get it's nutrition from breastmilk or formula for the first year of life. There's really no need to start solids before a year unless the baby is interested. If your baby is interested then there's no need to hold out but definitely NO solids before 6 mths. I think instead of trying to exclusively breastfeed for "x" amount of time, you should follow your baby's cues. Waiting too late to start solids can have the same effect as starting too early.

• Dawn

I started feeding each of my babies solid food around 5-6 months, but my daughter didn't really start eating a lot until she was around 9-10 months old. With both, breastmilk was still their main substance within the first year.

I think most babies do need to start solids sooner than a year, but it is more for "practice" eating than as a main source of nutrition. Just keep track of your baby's weight on a growth chart designed specifically for breastfed babies to be sure she is growing well.

• Gray

I won't pretend to be a parent, but I can tell you from multiple sources, that the children all have different needs. Some may require more than others for softer foods or formula/milk, depending again upon the development of the digestive system, to include the teething. So, they may be ready for solid foods at 4 months, or not until 9. It depends upon them. The only other question I could ask is: Do you wish to deny them their development or do you wish to help it along?

We exclusively breastfed out little girl until 6 months and then started with soft foods that we made for her--apples, pears, bananas...along with cereals and breast milk mixed in. She's 9 months this week and eats like a champ; chewing small bits of real food and little gerber puffs. Our Drs. told us there really is no 'right' way to do it but to just try introducing new foods and solids slowly after 6 months. They will get it when they want. For example, she will not take a sippy cup at all but has no problem sucking a straw! She's nuts but I love her.

I gave my my daughters table food or solid food, after mashing it around 10 mos. I only did this seldomly, I main gave them Jr. baby food and whole milk or 2 % milk from a bottle. The best time to wean off of the bottle ,I think, is about 1 1/2 to 2 years old. I only breastfed for 1 month, wished I could have breatfed for 5-6 mos. If you give too much seasoned hard tough adult food, they may like it,but they may become overweight or it could effect their teeth and ther digestive sys. Please be careful

wish you well

from Another Mother