Do I need to start looking for a new job?

We have a lot of signs that we may be closing but no official word yet. Here are some of the signs:

The people who have quit have not been replaced.

Conference calls with our area managers about our low sales at least once a week, when last year we only heard from them once a month.

High shrinkage results at our physical inventory that took place in August/07.

Sales are lower than last year's sales but not by a whole lot.

At our conference calls, our area managers always say positive things and makes it sound like we're not closing. Is this just a technique they're using to make us stay and not start looking for new jobs??? I'm very concerned and want to know from a legal standpoint, how many days or months in advance must they inform us of a store closing. Our office only has 5 people working here. Any ideas?

Favorite Answer

It is hard to tell if they are closing or not. I think if you have been working there for awhile and think that it might happen well all I can say is start putting out your resume. You might even find a better job while you are still working there. If you have not found a job and they do close you will be able to get unemployment. Which doesn't pay well. The company that you work for does not have to tell you that they are closing until the day you come in and they just say "no work today. We have gone out of business." Good Luck!

Start looking for another job ASAP. The company doesn't want to tell everyone they are going out of business since they need you continue working.

Who is going to do your job it you leave now...they will have too.

When most businesses go out of business they will not give you a notice.

I know in my area we have Applebee's and one day they were working and the next day they reported to work and there were chains on the door with a note advising the employees to call HR.

I'm currently in the same position you are and I'm looking actively now. They need us to complete the transition from one company to another and then we will be let go with maybe a couple days notice.

Good luck and always be prepared.

a clever man or woman consistently has 2 or 3 strategies to entice on in the previous making a decision like quitting a job. in case you stop, what is going to you tell the subsequent employer approximately your reason? Your answer extra beneficial make experience or the recent employer isn't inspired. additionally, save your employer to your self, do no longer share approximately searching for yet another interest, because of the fact it gets back to the boss. maximum jobs in on the instant's monetary equipment are area-time are not they, and reward are unlikely to be made available for 3 to 6 months. I went to interest hunters so as that they might detect a job for me with the talents I had carried out, with a solid resume', and with a great outfit for the preliminary interview. Who will hire you in case you're no longer fascinated contained in the interest they're offering? your guy or woman motives for quitting won't practice to the recent employer which you have an interest in helping him make his employer investment a fulfillment. women persons's source center is a great place to attempt your self related to what interest would be terrific on your character. For a pair of dollars, they're going to attempt you and supply you some solutions. The library has source which will inform you jobs which are available in, and how lots you could anticipate to be paid. i'm hoping this information facilitates you.

There is no legal requirement they give you any notice, unless you are in a union job. You can walk in one day and be told things are closing and be out in an hour, or even sooner. If you are concerned, you should look to see if there are other positions out there.

Why not ask? Atleast you will know how ginuwine a company you work for. And this way you don't have to twist in the wind.

And if you don't feel comfortable asking in person, give some one the you know the number to your regional management office and have them ask.

They don't have any legal obligation to tell you if they are closing until you come in and the doors are locked.

If they are not closing, sounds like they are, then they are downsizing. Start looking soon.

Good luck