What are some important environmental considerations to take into account when buying a home?

My partner and I are currently looking to buy a new home. We are both environmentalists in some capacity, so we would like it to be as green as possible. We live near a large city, and we have a fairly standard buget. I would like to ask the following questions: What sort of home for two adults would be the most... show more My partner and I are currently looking to buy a new home. We are both environmentalists in some capacity, so we would like it to be as green as possible. We live near a large city, and we have a fairly standard buget. I would like to ask the following questions: What sort of home for two adults would be the most environmentally sound? What environmentally-friendly features should we be looking for in a new home? What can we do to improve the environmental performance of our home after we have moved in? Any suggestions will be appreciated.

Thank you.