Anonymous asked in HealthMental Health · 1 decade ago

Could anyone please help me? Psychology vs. Psychiatry?

I have a big problem and i do not know where to begin.

I have been very depressed for the past couple of months and i have severe insomnia. I can not fall asleep or stay asleep. My husband is deployed. It is his third month in Iraq. Not having him with me and worrying about him constantly drives me insane, it is litelarlly killing me.

I am new to this country (have no family here) and i dont have anyone to talk to about this. Everything seems to be spinning out of control and I feel that i really need to get professional help because it is very hard living like this. I am a student at a university and my depression affects my studies. Not doing as well as i would like to in school makes me feel like a total failure. (I used to be a very good student and i used to enjoy studying a lot...not anymore)

So my question is. Whom should i make an appointment with, a Psychiatrist or a Psychologist. What is the difference? What would you recommend in my situation.


Thank you very much for taking time and answering my question!

9 Answers

  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago
    Best Answer

    As a military family member, your first appointment needs to be with your primary doctor UNLESS you are feeling suicidal, homicidal, or the need to do harm to yourself or another. Then go to any emergency room.

    Your doctor will evaluate your symptoms and if they are mild enough will treat them himself. If you are opposed to medication, he can refer you to group meetings, your clergyman, or a psychologist.

    Don't wait for your symptoms to go away on their own, they may, or they may worsten. And be patient. It's a trial and error process to get the right meds and the right doses for the right person. Hang in there!

    Source(s): 20 years in the Air Force, with severe depression and PTSD
  • 1 decade ago

    A psychiatrist can prescribe medication and a psychologist provides therapy, without medication. I would make an appointment with a psychiatrist first. While I am not a strong proponent of meds, it seems as if your depression is greatly affecting your daily life.

    I am terribly sorry about your situation. I can't imagine being new to this country without family (do you have friends you can talk to?) and having your husband deployed. I am a person who gets stressed and worried very easily so I can only imagine what you must be feeling.

    I am not religious at all but know that sometimes religion can help, in making you feel more at peace but also with meeting new and potential friends.

    Also, your university has a mental health/counseling center that may allow you to seek services for free. I would look into that. And, they may even have a group counseling option where you can meet others who are in your experience which could help tremendously.

    I also think meeting with a pschologist would be great but recommended the psychiatrist first b/c of your severe insomnia and your depression affecting your studies.

    I think it's wonderful that you are aware of what is going on and once you get help, you will feel better. Best of luck. Take care.

    Source(s): I was a psychology major in college and a school counselor.
  • Laura
    Lv 4
    1 decade ago

    Well, first of all, I'm so sorry to hear about your situation. I think it makes perfect sense that you feel the way you do in the situation you are in. I would recommend psychologist, because psychiatry is more drug related. I don't think you need medication I think you just need to sit down with someone and discuss how to handle stress better. I know how hard it is not to have family close by. I'm also a student and I know how stressful that can be and how awful it feels when you are not doing as well as you would like. And then with the stress of your husband in Iraq. You must be a very strong person to handle all of these things. I'm not a religious person and I don't know you, but I feel compelled to write, God won't let you go through anything you can't handle. I hope the best for you and I hope you can find the help that you need!

  • Anita
    Lv 4
    4 years ago

    Theres only one difference between to to psychology is simply counseling and similar work, psychiatry means that you have a medical degree behind it. A psychologist can not dispense medicine, while a psychiatrist can. The careers are similar and it all depends on what field you intend in going into. Unless your really into meds Id suggest psychologist and when you get right down to it, if your desire is helping people aim for counselor certification, its considered counseling but counselors do more or less the same as psychologists, but pull a smaller pay.

  • How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 decade ago

    I would contact a Psychologist. The role there is that they will do the evaluation for your individual symptoms. They do therapy to help with symptoms. They then refer to the Psychiatrist, who is a Medical Doctor as well. He decides if you need Anti-D's. From where you say you are, get moving. Do the leg work and make the call.

    Are you on your husbands insurance or registered with the Service as his spouse. If you are contact the ombudsman's office and ask for their assistance. That is what they are there for.

    "Asking for help is a sign of strength."

    You can also talk to your counselor at the University.

    There are so many options available. Please take care of YOU so that you will be able to be a part of your husband's time away. It is alot of stressl!

    Source(s): I suffer from depression and went the way I described to you. My son-in-law just returned from Iraq. My daughter was able to use base services and support groups with other wives to survive this 2nd deployment.
  • 1 decade ago

    Psychologist will talk with you about the issues you deal with and help you learn techniques to get through it.

    Psychiatrist prescribe medications to help you with anxiety etc.

    Depending on your situation you may need both. Be careful. Psychiatrist want to put everyone on medications and that may not be right for you. I would see a Psychologist first and have them recommend the other if they see that you require medication beyond counseling.

    Good luck and God bless you and your husband.

    It is an honor to help you.

  • 1 decade ago

    A psychiatrist prescribes meds with therapy; psychologist cannot prescribe meds.

    I think you need to be on some meds.

    You are being attacked with fear.

    Get out a piece of paper and write this question:

    Why am I terrified that my husband will be killed in Iraq?

    After you answer that question, write down this question:

    And if that happens what will that mean to me?

    After you answer that question, repeat this question and after you answer it, repeat it again until you get to the root cause of your fear of your husband being killed in Iraq.

    You will have to get to the root cause before you can deal with your fear about it.

    I think you are not sleeping for worrying that you are not sleeping. I used to do that for months in my life.

    A doctor can prescribe Ambien, it will conk you out. However, you MUST make sure you can sleep for an 8 hour span of time after you take it. That drug has side effects and also can get you into danger if you take it and try to stay up doing things. It affects each person differently and it is a drug you don't wanna be careless with.

    Once you deal with your fear and get rest, I think your studies will improve a lot. You'll feel like studying too.

    You can email me if you want to talk.

    And above all else, pray to God for His help. And Jesus Christ too. He and God can help you more than people or anything else.

    John 3:16 "For God so loved the world, that He gave His one and only Son, that whosoever believes in Him, shall not perish, but have eternal life."

  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago

    Since you are prolly not in US any more you will have more access to an analyst. He is not going to use meds and you will be better off in the long run. The therapist is not able to use prescription drugs either. Maybe you can start a support group in your area for military wives and men.

  • 1 decade ago

    Generally speaking, psychiatrists deal with serious 'mental' disorders [ which i doubt you have ], psychologists deal more with 'emotional' disorders [ which I suspect you DO have ]. As with most others who answered, I agree, see a family doctor first for a thorough check up.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.