Melissa asked in HealthMental Health · 1 decade ago

forced into psych ward...?

Okay so I've been to the hospital twice in the last month for cutting myself. The first time I went willingly into the psych ward, figured I would give it a chance. This last time I refused to go because of the way I was treated and cared for. The hospital let me go this second time but said if anything happened again I wouldn't have a choice. Can they make me go? I'm 22, an adult that should make a difference. I'm not suicidal at all, I'm on medicine [still trying to figure out the right mix, think i'm misdiagnosed imo] and in counseling. I really don't see how being in the hospital will be any different than what I'm doing. I saw the therapist for 5 minutes a day in the hospital and thats it. Spent the whole 3 days in my room, never went to group. At least I'll have family outside. Anyone know the laws for that in Virginia?

Update:

I was in CPAT, horrible place to go.

Update 2:

The only reason I went to the hospital is because the cut was deep enough to need stitches but since it had been just over 12 hours they wouldn't stitch it up at all.

18 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago
    Best Answer

Ha! I'm in Virginia and the mental health facilities here are bullsh!t. The care is marginal at best, the security is crap and the staff... well, let's don't go there. If you refuse, they could try to have a hearing and have you declared a person in need of supervision (since you're an adult) and if they win they can slap you in there and then they don't have to let you out until THEY say so. My advice? Stop cutting yourself, dude. It's not worth it. You know they never listen to you in there. You can tell them you aren't suicidal all you want, they will not believe you. THEY see being in the hospital is different because you are monitored by Staff and don't have access to sharps. And once they get you in there, they don't have to ever let you out if they don't want to. The horror stories I could tell you... What hospital are you at, if you don't mind me asking? Maybe I know it. Dejarnette? Dominion? CPAT? Springwood?

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Yes a Dr. can commit you if he feels you are a threat to yourself I am not sure about Virginia but in Texas it is 30 days

Okay so I looked at this site and I am pretty sure the answer to your question is yes. The thing you need to figure out is why you are cutting yourself. What is going on when you do this? If your therapist isn't helping you then fire them and find another one. It is so easy to be misdiagnosed and get the wrong medication. Sometimes you need to talk to your primary care physician. then have them help you find a therapist who can help you

• 1 decade ago

I am not exactly sure on the laws in VA, but if you harm someone or yourself I believe that is a crime. They can put you in prison if you refuse to go to a psych ward. You don't really want to be on a suicide watch in a prison. They give you a cloth rob of some sort and nothing else. No privileges and watched 24/7.

• 1 decade ago

Im sorry I wish I had an answer but i dont know that laws out there. Most common way of making you stay, is claiming/proving, you are not in a mental state to make a choice... other then that i can offer you a peice of advice that helps me to keep from cutting... Start 2 books (using notebook of any type with blank pages) one your " Happy" book, in there, write, draw, paste anything and everything (even the little things) that make you smile or "happy", dont put anything that can ever make u feel anything else (i.e. no boyfrineds, or family, cuz they can piss u off sometimes) Also start a "crappy" book, put everything bad in there, everything thats ever pissed u off, or hurt you, write, draw, whatever in that book whenever you have the first urge to cut, after u vent there, then look at ur happy book or start adding to it... It helps me.

Source(s): Past cutter.... Yes it feels good, but its not healty we need different coping skills..... SMILE FOR ME NOW
  • How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Ava
    Lv 5
    1 decade ago

If you are not suicidal and you don't want to go to a hospital, what are you doing this for? I really don't understand. You are 22 so I don't care what your problem is, seems like you would know this is stupid to do.Do you like the pain or the attention? At least in a hospital, you can't get hold of anything sharp. Whatever is going on, I wish you all the best and I wish you would quit hurting yourself. If you had a little sister would you want her to do this?

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

I don't know state law, but the only person that can help you with your problem is you. No one can make you stop hurting yourself. Having someone to go to when you get the urge helps, but ultimatley, it's all up to you. YOU have to want to stop. If you think you need outside help other than therapy, you may want to try other hospitals or specialized centers in the area that are better equipped with your problem. It seems to me that they're treating your cutting as if you're suicidal, where it seems to obviously be an addiction.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

regardless of your age, if you are determined by either a qualified professional (they have to be licensed to "commit" people) or the police to be a danger to yourself or others, they CAN hold you against your will. they can keep you in the ER and/or a psych facility for up to 72 hours involuntarily. anything longer than that would need a doc's approval (you would still need to be making threats on yours or someone elses life). if you are just cutting, make sure you are letting them know that it is NOT a suicidal gesture. unless you are going voluntarily, they can't force you to go unless you say you are going to kill yourself when you go home.

sounds like they told you that at the hospital to scare you into not doing it again. good luck.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

You can prob. look them under on the internet under Virginia Law. Start with Mental Instituition Laws of Virginia or Psyc Ward Laws in VA or even VA laws on being committed.

I do think if you are thought to endanger yourself again, they can commit you irregardless of your age.

I'm glad to hear you have family to help support you, it's very important. Stay safe and take care of you...If you ever feel like you might hurt yourself call a hotline or your support line immediately and talk with someone.

Good luck to you..~

• 1 decade ago

I was forced into a mental hospital and it was called 'Living Hope' but turned out to be 'Living Hell'. My family were all against me going, but this doctor had it determined that i was going. Instead of consoling and helping those who have problems, they treated everyone like common day criminals. I felt like a fish out of water. One woman was there because her child burned in a fire at a daycare facility and she'd cry. The staff would literally scream at the woman to shut the hell up. But to answer your question, sadly, yes they can force you to go. I don't know VA laws because i'm in AR.

• 1 decade ago

Think your sorta screwed sad to say. Think the law ( don't quote me ) If you are a danger to yourself or others you can be detained.

Well cutting yourself = Danger to yourself.

I know there are others out there that do it, don't know any personally anymore but used to and they did it more or less for attention if you break it all down.

Your treatment in the hospital really sucked, from what you said.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.