If anyone has a copy of The Crucible, can you please please help me out. I need a quote.?

I'm writing an essay thats supposed to contain mainly quotes, and I forgot my book at school. There is no way to get to a library and the internet doesn't have a copy of it.

If you do, can you give me the quote of when Cheever is explaining to the Proctors about the needle and the poppet. like where he's telling them about how Abigail pulled the needle out of herself and blamed Elizabeth for it.

Thank you so soooo much.

• nelgin
    Favorite Answer

HALE: What signifies a poppet, Mr Cheever?

CHEEVER: (turning the poppet over in this hands): Why, they say it may signify that she - (He has lifted the poppet's skirt, and his eyes widen in astonished fear.) Why, this, this -

PROCTOR: (raching for the poppet): What's there?

CHEEVER: Why - (He draws out a long needle from the poppet) - it is a needle! Herrick, Herrick, it is a needle!

PROCTOR: (angrily, bewildered): And what signifies a needle!

CHEEVER (his hands shaking!): Why, this go hard with her, Proctor, this - I had my doubts, Proctor, I had my doubts, but here's calamity. (To Hale, showing the needle) You see it, sir, it is a needle!

HALE: Why? What meanin' has it?

CHEEVER (wide-eyed, trembling): The girl, the Williams girl, Abigail Williams, Sir. She sat to dinner in Reverand Parris's house tonight, and without word nor warnin' she falls to the floor. Lake a struck beast, he says, and screamed a scream that a bull would weep to hear. And he goes to save her, and, stuck two inces in the flesh of her belly, he draw a needle out. And demandin' of her how she came to be so stabbed, she (to Proctor now) - testify it were your wife's familiar spirit pushed it in.

PROCTOR: Why, she done it herself! (To Hale) I hope you're not takin' this for proof, Mister!

HALE, trick by the proof, is silent.

CHEEVER: 'Tis hard proof! (To Hale) I find here a poppet Goody Proctor keeps. I have found it, sir. And in the belly of the poppet a needle's stuck. I tell you true, Proctor, I never warranted to see such proof of Hell, and I bid you obstruct me not, for I -

Enter Elizabeth with mary. Proctor, seeing Mary Warren, draws her by the arm to Hale.

PROCTOR: Here now! Mary, how did this poppet come into my house?

MARY: (frightened for herself, her voice very small): What poppet's that, sir?