What does the slang word "goon" mean?

I hear it all the time in rap songs and i just am curious about what it means.

Best Answer

underdog

someone who works for you

Goon Definition

A 'goon' is a thug for hire. A large muscled ill-tempered man whose job is usually to kick the crap out anyone who gets in the way of a bosses agenda.

The general use came from thugs hired by businessmen to violently break up strikes or pickets by organized labor.

Rappers often refer to police as 'goons' hired by the 'man'.

The inference remains the same though. A goon is a vicious unprincipled man hired to beat up some poor soul who's just trying to get what's fair.

Now goons are generally though of as Gorillaesq.

Very dangerous, not too bright.

So the term CAN be used to mean 'big & dumb', or even goofy, especially by middle class white kids who have never encountered a thug for hire.

But this is not generally the rap usage. Go by context.

"In came the goons" means asskickers.

"She is dating a goon" means big dumb guy.

"My girlfrends ex is a goon" means both.

Goonie though just means goofy.

Hope this helps.

Goon originally just meant a stupid person, probably from an older English word 'gooney'. In the 1920s (maybe before) it came to mean a hired thug, the henchman of a gangster. If you didn't pay off your loan shark he'd send a couple of 'goons' over to break your legs. In movies about gangsters in the 1920s and 30s, you always see the main guy accompanied by four or five big tough-looking guys, which he sometimes called 'bodyguards', but others called 'goons'. Today you see the same thing with gangsta rappers.

This Site Might Help You.

RE:

What does the slang word "goon" mean?

Source(s): slang word goon mean: https://knowledge.im/?s=slang+word+goon+mean
  • ?

For Credit and finance solutions I recommend this site where you can find all the solutions. http://personalcreditsolutions.info/index.html?src...

RE :What does the slang word "goon" mean?

Follow 12 answers

Source(s): For Credit and finance solutions I recommend this site where you can find all the solutions. http://personalcreditsolutions.info/index.html?src...

In the last century, Goon meant a thuggish side-kick sort of character. Not that smart and not the top-dog.

Here's a link that suggests current use:

goon : Noun. A fool or objectionable person. Generally lighthearted use.

Not so sure but...

"Goon is a slang term referring to thugs hired by bosses or other authorities."

Does it make any sense?

What Is A Goon

I have always known the 'slang' word goon to mean 'a silly/stupid/awkward person'.

A goon is a person who is not scared of nobody